Marshmallow Game (Rigging horizontally)

IanTech

We have an event coming up where the organizers would like to do something like this and I'm pushing to do it the safest way possible.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm thinking a truss totem with base plate or a pipe with a proper base and a boom tie off with lots of sandbags at the base and aircraft cable wound around an intersection in our lighting grid with griplocks and shackles.

Does anyone have a better idea?

We have an event coming up where the organizers would like to do something like this and I'm pushing to do it the safest way possible.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm thinking a truss totem with base plate or a pipe with a proper base and a boom tie off with lots of sandbags at the base and aircraft cable wound around an intersection in our lighting grid with griplocks and shackles.

Does anyone have a better idea?

@IanTech NOT being a rigger ( but qualifying as an "anyone" ) , this retired lighting and sound geezer would routinely avoid replying to any / all rigging related queries.
That said; after having viewed your video, I'll offer my thoughts and page @egilson1 , @What Rigger? , @derekleffew and @dvsDave for you since none of Control Booth's rigging pro's have as yet come to your aid.
Again; having viewed your video, have you considered pair of:
- Muscle bound, appropriately clad, fire fighters (of either or both sexes)
- Suitably attired and oiled body builders (of either or both sexes)
- Tantalizingly proportioned bikini models (of your choice of sexes)
- Two of any of the above holding a ten foot / three Metre length of rigid PVC / ABS pipe high above their heads, all to further contribute to your function's appeal dependent upon its nature? If a fundraiser, this could potentially spur on your benefactors.
Thoughts?? Comments???
( Of course you'd have a discrete 'safety' threaded through the pipe and supported from your grid from both ends to avoid spinning / rotating.)
[ You WOULDN'T support your marshmallows directly from your grid as they'd pendulum into the wings and take days to stabilize, having your marshmallows supported from 8' / 2.? Metre's sounds about right for the purposes of your event.]
I'll return to my cave; promise.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@IanTech NOT being a rigger ( but qualifying as an "anyone" ) , this retired lighting and sound geezer would routinely avoid replying to any / all rigging related queries.
That said; after having viewed your video, I'll offer my thoughts and page @egilson1 , @What Rigger? , @derekleffew and @dvsDave for you since none of Control Booth's rigging pro's have as yet come to your aid.
Again; having viewed your video, have you considered pair of:
- Muscle bound, appropriately clad, fire fighters (of either or both sexes)
- Suitably attired and oiled body builders (of either or both sexes)
- Tantalizingly proportioned bikini models (of your choice of sexes)
- Two of any of the above holding a ten foot / three Metre length of rigid PVC / ABS pipe high above their heads, all to further contribute to your function's appeal dependent upon its nature? If a fundraiser, this could potentially spur on your benefactors.
Thoughts?? Comments???
( Of course you'd have a discrete 'safety' threaded through the pipe and supported from your grid from both ends to avoid spinning / rotating.)
[ You WOULDN'T support your marshmallows directly from your grid as they'd pendulum into the wings and take days to stabilize, having your marshmallows supported from 8' / 2.? Metre's sounds about right for the purposes of your event.]
I'll return to my cave; promise.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Definitely have a safety or even clamp it to a truss to keep it from rotating. I suppose some sort of PVC would be fine for the actual marshmallows themselves.

If you do a mock-up with a totem and it has any give, I would add a corner block and another short stick of truss at 90° to modify it into an L shape, and then apply most of the ballast on the upstage end of the L. Then it's more like a lever and you're getting the most mechanical advantage.

Either way, there's two hazards. Tipping, and sliding. You might need to drive a couple screws into the floor to prevent it from sliding or just brute force the ballast weight.

Honestly, I don't have a great sense for how much force you can exert from surgical tubing stretched across your face without hurting yourself. I can't imagine it's a ton of force; probably less than someone forcibly leaning against something. In case things get competitive though, definitely make sure the tubing won't snap off the the totem and slingshot them in the back of the head.

Pfff! Call ZFX or Foy. Obviously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back