Martin Jem Magnum 2000 Troubleshooting

DMXUser

I've had this unit for 20yrs and clean and service it after every use.

I really want to rebuild the Unit as it's been a Beast

It ran for about 2hrs during an event and the Fog Output decreased by 75% as well as the force pressure. Both Red Lights and Green Light Illuminates. Timer Option was working along with Smoke Output Adjustments are working.

How can I trouble shoot the Internals to see which Usable Parts (i.e. Pump, Heater Element, Thermal Switch), have aged and need to be replaced.

Thanking Everyone in advanced ,

Joe

Ran constant heat for 2hrs. I’m surprised it stayed kicking.

How much fluid did you have left at the end? A lot? Then your pump failed.

Was there a puddle under the machine? A lot? Then your element is shot.

Was the unit chugging stopping/starting at the end or clicking hard to tell cause of the units noise? Could be the switch.

20yrs is a long time for a fog machine. Sounds like you treated her well. Frankly I’d you haven’t replaced anything inside this whole time. You should Atleast replace the heater element and the switch as all the pump has to do is pump and that’s pretty easy for it.

Actually, the first item I would suspect is the pump but after 20 years it could be other issues. Other than a pump, a bad heat sensor, or a heat-exchanger clogging, I have seen worn vinyl tubing leak air at a fitting and reduce output.

Thank you Ron;

Matt; I will cut off the end and reinstall the Tubing Connnection at the Supply Tand, THANK YOU Mac!

No Puddling,No Chugging or stopping. I'm not sure but It might of ran very low on Fluid as it was installed in a Halloween Scene. The Thermo Switch DID NOT Activate

I refilled the Unit and after a little while, the Output decreased significantly. I suspect the Pump as the Normal Pump Noise just wasn't there.

Trouble shooting might be a Moot Point as Martin no longer sells the Pump.

Any one know a Supplier that has the Pump, Heat Exchanger and

Ran constant heat for 2hrs. I’m surprised it stayed kicking.

How much fluid did you have left at the end? A lot? Then your pump failed.

Was there a puddle under the machine? A lot? Then your element is shot.

Was the unit chugging stopping/starting at the end or clicking hard to tell cause of the units noise? Could be the switch.

20yrs is a long time for a fog machine. Sounds like you treated her well. Frankly I’d you haven’t replaced anything inside this whole time. You should Atleast replace the heater element and the switch as all the pump has to do is pump and that’s pretty easy for it.

What "Switch" are you referring to? The Thermal Switch?

So you oopsied. Well good luck finding parts. I wouldn’t even know where to start. Maybe Full Compass, Barbizon, or 4wall for some suggestions.

You could pull the pump out read the specs and try to find an off brand that is similar.

Yes the thermal switch should engage if the heat exchange/element gets to hot and needs a break. That would be the clicking you might hear. But you said not to all my questions . So pump it is.

First place to check (after Martin, but you already tried that) is to go to Lightparts. If they don't have it, they can point you in the right direction. The dirty secret of foggers and hazers is that the pumps in them are all fairly standard aquarium pumps. Get the specs (as @Amiers suggested) and take it into your local pet/aquarium store. They can probably help you find one. You might have to modify the mounting bracket. It has been a few years since I worked on a Magnum, I don't recall what they look like on the inside.

After you pull the pump out dnap a few pictures. And post it so we can play along. For the kids stuck at home doing nothing.

Good Morning

Its been a long time since I left The repair side of the world but I had my hands in the F100 & the Jems.
I recall the pumps from both were the vibrating type that are common in Coffee makers, not fish tanks.
the main difference is the the input/output fittings. these can be transferred from the old to the new pump.
I believe these pumps can be found.

I may have service document & part list on one of my HDs

Good Luck

What a crazy year or two its been. Having more than one Martin Pro2000 fogger I'm finally getting around to rebuid the down unit.

Stay tuned for pics.

Jhochb, did you ever find the service document you mentioned. I apologize for the very late response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back