Martin MACiii performance dimming issue.

TheatreLackey46

Hello all!
I recently purchased two MAC iii performance movers that were used (only way we can afford things). I love them but I am having an issue with one of them and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem. When fading out (but not fading up), about half way through the fade, the fixture has a flash as if it has restarted from full and started fading out again over the last 50 percent.
I have ordered new lamps for them since I know nothing about how many hours the lamps have burned. Might this get fixed when I put a new lamp in or is there a setting/calibration I have not found yet?
I did try resetting intensity calibration from the console to no effect. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
Swap lamps from a working fixture if that doesn’t do it then it’s not the lamp. That being said it could be a main board issue or possibly a ballast issue. This also sounds odd enough that you might not be controlling it properly and your programming could be making it jump up and down as it fades out.

I would take it down and test it in front of you and see if error codes pop up that will net more answers for us to help.
The manual if you don’t have it : https://www.martin.com/en/site_elements/martin-manuals-user-manual-hi-res

Reactions: RonHebbard

Mike Donovan

According to the manual posted by Amiers, this fixture has a discharge lamp and mechanical dimmer (flags and or an iris-like shutter which block more or less light). With that in mind, lamps shouldn’t matter, as the lamp keeps its constant output).
Have you tried addressing the problematic fixture to the same address as the good fixture? If both fixtures have the same address and the dimming issue exists on only one, then the problem is with the fixture. If giving the problematic fixture the same address as the good fixture fixes the dimming issue, then the problem is with the console.
There could be a dimmer profile or curve attached to the problematic address. Or you could have accidentally programmed your dimmer sequence incorrectly. If you run the dimmer in and out with the programmer of your console, do you have the same issue?
If it is a console issue, I’d bet it’s a non-linear dimmer profile. eg, channel at 50% may not be DMX output @ 50%.

soundlight

I would guess that it's a mechanical issue with the dimmer flag(s) on the fixture. Open it up lamped off down on the deck and do the fade, and I'll bet you'll see the flags jump. I don't know a lot about these lights, but it could be a belt issue, set screw issue, motor issue, or possibly driver issue. If it's purely mechanical though, you may be able to see the problem and order the part or tighten the set screw.

Reactions: RonHebbard

macsound

Speaking of musbehaving stepper motors, is it normal or recommended practice to lubricate a stepper motor?

I used to work at a place with a dozen technobeams that went through stepper motors like water.
Also refurbing some old lights that do ok after a couple of homes, but the first time through a pan tilt, they're anything but smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread