Automated Fixtures Martin protocol

Michaelf

Hi i have 2 martin roboscan 805 that run off of a martin protocol is there any way of runing them from dmx 512 without buying a seperate controller.
Is there any way of just swapping the pins around or phase converters???
Any help would be much appriciated.

"According to the documentation you need a Martin DMX interface to convert DMX to Martin protocol." -sk8rsdad

This is true. You do need to use a DMX to Martin Protocol converter. The usually cost about $100.

I have several fixtures that are Martin protocol that i use a DMX interface with. When using the DMX Interface(Martin Protocol fixtures) with other DMX fixtures you will need to use a phase reverse cable.

Martin protocol is a completely different signal than DMX and just using a phase reverse cable won't work.

If I remember correctly, Martin Protocol is just phase reversed DMX, so all you would need to do is build (and label) an adapter that swaps pins 2 and 3.

We used 4 Roboscan 1220's a couple of shows ago. All we had to do was swap swap pins 2 and 3 as icewolf08 mentioned, and we were all set to go.

~Dave
From the Martin Site:

"The RoboScan 805 may be used with DMX and Martin protocol controllers. The RoboScan
805’s XLR connections are configured for Martin protocol controllers such as the 3032.
When connecting a RoboScan 805 to any DMX-standard device, you must swap pins 2 and
3 with a phase-reversing cable."

Last edited:
I've got 4 Roboscan 1016's, bought them at a decent price with the 2308 controller. I find this thread interesting talking about the DMX to Martin protocol. With my luck, I'm guessing that switching the pins doesn't work on my lights. They are the 220 volt version, but I haven't been able to use them as of yet. I'm rebuilding my 220 drop panel, and need to know what the amperage is for these lights. Anyone have that info handy, and while we're at it, any one have a manual they can get rid of, photocopy, scan, carrier pigeon, etc. etc. Any info is always helpful.

Ken

I too have some old Martin fixtures I'd like to control via DMX.
Primarily some 6 pin Roboscan Pro 218's and am wondering what all I'll need to make them work.
It sounds like I need a Martin DMX converter/interface box (for each different type of fixture). Roll pins 2 & 3 between the DMX signal and Martin stuff. Is that all?
Where would be a good place to get a converter box?
Thanks.

The pin swap (2 and 3) only works on 812, and 218 Mark II, 518, and 1220 and some others. The older 1016, robocolor I and II, 218 Mark I and some others needs a protocol converter. I thot the 805 was one as well. Martin says no. I seem to remember differently, but it's been a few years.

Also, if you have two or more fixture types that need the converter, you need one converter for EACH fixture type. And the converters only run up to eight fixtures.

As for finding them, good luck. Since the older fixtures are all discontinued for 10+ years, the converters are likely long gone as well.

HOWEVER, you MIGHT have some luck contacting the Martin distributors in the Philippines. I found a couple old products there, still new in the box. I don't have the info any more, but I'll bet the Martin site can help you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back