Martin Roboscan Pro518 vs. Martin MX-1

jevans

I am just wondering whether anyone has had experience with the Martin Roboscan Pro518. I've used the MX-1 and Wizard but I am unfamiliar with the effect the 518 will provide. I am interested to know whether they will produce a single beam like the MX-1 or multiple ones like the Wizard/Acrobat. Any positive or negative feedback on these fixtures are welcome.

The 518s are a fairly simple fixture. Just a scanner like the MX1, not a multi-beam/breakup roller like the Wizard.

The 518s do not have remote focus, so you will need to adjust the lens by screwing it in or out at the fixture. This usually isn't an issue as there's only one gobo wheel and there's a frost filter on the effects flag if you need it. I think this focusing is how the MX1s work if I remember right.

The 518s have a bunch of colors, all in rainbow order, with 2 quad colors on the end to split things up. They have 5 rotating gobos, which are disgustingly hard to change, but it's worth it to get a bit more image area if you're going to be using these fixtures a lot. Get a breakup or two and maybe a good dichroic gobo for the fixtures if you're going to use them for a lot of shows.

They are a discharge lamp - so they will surpass the MX1 output-wise no problem. You need to make sure that you have the upgraded fan in your unit if you're going to be using an MSD250 lamp, the fixtures were originally designed for an MSD200 and then after a certain serial number the new fan was installed at the factory. It is an upgrade that can be performed on the older units to allow the use of an MSD250 lamp, which will get you a good bit more output from the fixture.

Thanks for that, it's a lot more detailed explanation than I expected. I am only hiring them so lamps and fans won't be an issue, I was just interested in their comparison to an MX-1, I knew there would be someone on here who had a bit of knowledge about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back