Automated Fixtures Martin Rush MH 6 - Pan Calibration via DMX

I have a pair of Martin Rush MH 6 Wash moving lights that were hung incorrectly. Their home position is pointed at the stage left wall of the house. Everything I'm been told says I should be able to adjust the PAN calibration by -90 degrees and correct the problems. However, no matter what sequence I use (according to the manual), I can't get the MH 6's to adjust their home position. Does anyone have MH 6 wash instruments and has been able to adjust the PAN via the DMX Channel 14 commands? If so, what sequence values and channels did you find worked?

As background, the sequence I've tried is 1) No-function (0), 2) Enable-Cal (57), 3) Set the PAN value for the new homing position (in my case = 85 DMX), 4) Store Pan (237), and finally 5) No-Function (0) to return to normal operation.

Cheers, Jim

Fixture settings can be overridden with RDM so if you're modifying the fixture at the physical menu make sure RDM isn't undoing whatever you're changing. But to be honest I am not sure the Rush series reads RDM, however RDM from the board can cause issues with non RDM fixtures.

It is also worth checking that your fixture is on the latest firmware in case what you're experiencing is a bug.

Personally I have always found setting home and setup values as a fixture parameter to be pretty tedious. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, with no real rhyme or reason. Most control consoles allow a home preset recorded at the console (Home Preset in ETC, Default Preset in GrandMA, Default Pan/ Tilt in Hog4 patch, etc.). I've even had a multi-console setup where I had an ION with only Pan Tilt parameters recorded at a home value into a cue and it acted as a home preset for a visiting LD who ran Vista at a lower priority. I really don't recommend doing it that way but it worked.

Is there a specific reason you need to home the fixture at the unit itself?
If your able to, check that address 14 is actually programmed the way the manual says (ex. bits 10-14 reset the fixture with snapping) consoles do get this wrong and different fixture revisions often have slight variations in control channels setup.

As a side note the "no function" are just empty blocks that do nothing / have no programming assigned to them. They don't return the fixture to normal operation, that would be bits 245-249, you might also what to do a reset 10-14 just so you can see if the fixture is even responding to address 14.

After looking at the manual, since you can define offset both via dmx and at the fixture I would be curious if the physical setting was overriding the dmx. This can usually be fixed by a reset if you can get to the fixture. If you can't than i'd recommend a home preset in whatever controller you are using. Even if you have a low end ADJ preset board it may be worth it to use/ waste preset 1 as a designated 'home' and then use your other presets around that.

Thank you for the reply.

To the best of my knowledge and the user manuals on the console and MH 6 instruments,
they don't support RDM. I also think the installation has a DMX repeater that's
only one way.

The instruments can have a PAN offset set via their LCD control panel on the base.
However, do to physical plant limitations, it's very hard to get access to the
control panel. That is close the theatre, remove 4 rows of seats, bring in a lift, and
then you can get to the instrument. We are trying to avoid that if at all possible.
From what the manuals and the manufacturer support desk says, it should easily be
done via DMX. Right, I have yet to accomplish it. That's way I'm asking for help
from anyone that knows the Rush MH6 Wash instruments and has succeeded at setting a
PAN offset via DMX,

The console I was using appeared to use viable values on Channel 14 (the control channel).
But for this testing, I've done with a package that allows me to precisely control
the sequence, timing and values of any of the channels. I have tested it and know the
RESET, BO on PAN - OFF and ON, Display OFF and ON, at least work as advertised.
I've been using the "center" value of each range. The console used the first value.
That's to close to a threshold for me to trust.

As you suggested, I would love to know what firmware version each instrument is using, but can't.
I only hope is they were purchased at the same time, so their firmware versions should
be close.

As for the No-Function. The manufacturer stated in the procedure, I had to issue a
No-Function (value 0) to exit the calibration mode and return to normal operation.
This appears to be true. On these instruments Channel 14 commands are:
0-9 No function (disables calibration)
10-14 Reset (works)
55-59 Enable Calibration
230-234 Store Zoom
235-239 Store Pan
240-244 Store Tilt
245-249 Restore All Calibrations to Factury defaults.
So, I want to stay away from 245-249.

I have one case where I'm in calibration and the instrument starts to chatter.
It does stop when I do a No-Function (0) to exit.

I will have to check with the Manufacturer about your idea of the LCD panel settings
(physical) blocking the DMX adjustment.

As I have been learn about the board, I have run into a few scene (memory) assurtion
issues. It would be nice to use preset 1 to set everything correctly. But if
anyone changes the pan or tilt on the instrument, they have to mentally adjust for
the offset (-90). The indicators on the console says the instrument is pointed forward,
when it's actually 90 degree CW to the right. When it is pointed correctly at
the stage, the console says it's pointed 90 to the left. I have check into settings
on the console and there is not a place to modify the configuration for the instrument.
The console manufacturer suggest using a preset, but that appears to have limited application
and I will not be there all of the time to assist.

Thanks for the ideas and notes.

Pathway Cognito 2 is my main console. I started my effort to do a PAN offset, on the Cognito 2. Step 1 was getting Pathway to complete the implemenation of Channel 14 (the controls) in their fixture definitions. Tried their implementation - no success. Get the USB-DMX adapter and simple PC to verify the Cognito 2 was outputting the correct DMX values. It looked alright, but still not sure. So, I decided if I was going to solve this puzzle, I should switch to something the would give me complete unlimited control of the channels and DMX values. That let me to a simple DMX Receiver/transmitter, which did not save scene/memories and was hard to keep re-setting up and found QLC+ based on OLA. My current testing is completely on QLC+ until I find the answer. Then I'll figure out how to move back to the Congnito 2 console. So, my discussion on use of presets / memories etc. related to the Cognito 2. The QLC+ is just to let me find the steps, timing and VALUES to get the task done.

The following files show a) how the MH6 is hung, b) what we need as the home position, and c) (the color image) what the instruments actual home position is when everything is one and the default values for each channel are sent over DMX. In the last image, notice the yoke is perpendicular to the cove (and stage) and not parallel to the cove, pipe or stage. That's why I need the PAN offset of about -90 degrees.

Attachments

• MH6 Powered On, Def DMX applied-Home Pos.jpg
    MH6 Powered On, Def DMX applied-Home Pos.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 176
  • MH6 As hung.jpg
    MH6 As hung.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 188
  • MH6 Desired Home Position.jpg
    MH6 Desired Home Position.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 214
Pathway Cognito 2 is my main console. I started my effort to do a PAN offset, on the Cognito 2. Step 1 was getting Pathway to complete the implemenation of Channel 14 (the controls) in their fixture definitions. Tried their implementation - no success. Get the USB-DMX adapter and simple PC to verify the Cognito 2 was outputting the correct DMX values. It looked alright, but still not sure. So, I decided if I was going to solve this puzzle, I should switch to something the would give me complete unlimited control of the channels and DMX values. That let me to a simple DMX Receiver/transmitter, which did not save scene/memories and was hard to keep re-setting up and found QLC+ based on OLA. My current testing is completely on QLC+ until I find the answer. Then I'll figure out how to move back to the Congnito 2 console. So, my discussion on use of presets / memories etc. related to the Cognito 2. The QLC+ is just to let me find the steps, timing and VALUES to get the task done.
Calling @Rob
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hi jpearson0525

My I suggest you start a new show in Cognito and make the first 14 Lights of type DMX 8 - Bit (see SELECT - SETTINGS - LIGHT TYPE)
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.56.17 AM.png

Then from CONTROL - INTENSITY - WHEELS (see here)
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.56.38 AM.png

... you can roll the YELLOW wheel to exact values. If you do this, and write some descriptive cues using the 8-bit values (i.e., Light in home position, Strobe fast, Strobe Rnd, Amber color) and send that show file off to [email protected], Brian will fix the fixture library for you lickitysplit.

This is wild, but I wonder if you could fly a camera equipped drone up there to at least video the fixture at power up... would that show the firmware level?
Then if the pipe is rated for the dynamic load of a human, drop a lightweight line over the pipe, use it to get a climbing rated rope in place, and hire or seek a qualified steeple jack or mountaineer comfortable with using ascenders to get up there and reorient the fixture. Lots of ifs there, but maybe workable. I’ve also used a tennis ball with small screw eye to attach light line when tossing is a possibility. Good luck, check your load ratings and insurance, and keep us posted!

To Rob, Nice Idea. If Pathway needs to build a new profile, I recommend they build a "new" one so current users will not be affected by any customization. The differences I know at the moment are the tilt range of -110 to 110 instead of -100 to 100. Did get the Channel 14 commands included last Dec, 2019, took a while to get documentation. Would like to talk with you offline, if possible.

The console really needs a feature to "tune" up an instruments profile by the user and save on the flash. Some of the tunable parameters could cover this situation. The next area I get to work on is the Color Temperature of the lights in the theatre. Since we also run as a Video Studio and have a mixture of LED and Halogen lights, this will be interesting.
Jim.

Last edited:
To Ben, A small camera on long pole would also work. Hook it on the pipe aimed at the display. I would like to know what the MH6 displays as it comes up to know if the effort was worth it. According to the firmware loads available, not much has changed since 2016, so I would expect new units would have the latest. The space around the unit is very tight, so the drone's props may get broken - unless you fly the drone upside down. I think I'll stick with the camera on pole.
Thanks for the ideas!! Jim.

Since my last post in 2020, the following information has surfaces and may be of help to everyone using the MH6.
1) The PAN Offset adjustment via DMX appears to be limited and cannot handle an adjustment as large as 90 degrees. It's meant to handle smaller types of homing adjustments.
2) Pathway Cognito 2 support was gratious enough to release a fixture definition fill that contained two new MH6 wash definitions, one with the PAN and TILT values adjusted to move home 90 degrees CCW and one the home position 90 degrees CW. This helped align the instruments position with the stage and the visuals on the lighting board. However, it sacrafices 90 degrees in the PAN rotation but since the PAN was originally 270 to -270, you can live with effectively 180 to -180. I really appreciate the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back