Martin usb dmx dongle - is anybody using one outside of lightjockey or whatever the current Martin software is?

does anyone have some insight for a grizzled old sound tech who knows lights can do cool things sometimes other than turn on&off?

the club I'm house tech at has some old moving lights that came out of a club that shut down, but the computer that came with them had a catastrophic thermal death, and the system has been supplemented with a Chauvet console and newer RGB LED fixtures. The Martin hardware I mention in the subject line is recognized by the Mac used for the DJ rig in System Profiler - can I use any Mac lighting control software?

I'm looking at SoundSwitch because they've integrated Ableton Link, which is supported by the DJ Software. it would be great if the DJ spinning between band sets could have the lights follow him/his set, and the band has a static (maybe some movement, maybe scene changes) lighting while they're on stage.

Thanks all...this is my first post here.

is the thunderous silence in response to this query a "It'll work if you try it" or a "DYOR dumb@ss" or "it'll never work the way you think or want" ?
Anybody, anywhere...a little kind guidance please?

I don't have one of these dongles to play with, so I can't be certain. In general, one manufacturer's dongle will not work with any other manufacturer's software. There are some exceptions, like everyone designed around the opendmx boxes, but this isn't one of them. I'd be very surprised if it worked with anything else.

Thanks, neighbour. I know these boxes are still floating around out there, so I wanted to see if anyone had by chance had the same sort of idea and actually tried/tested it.
I guess I'll be the trailblazer...so stay tuned!
If it doesn't work, I've a couple of RasPis to consider turning into Enttec clones with the help of this (even if it's only one universe rather than 2) which will work with SoundSwitch according to them
(it should all work if the coding is C and running under *nix...but what do I know, I'm just a fadermonkey)

I might still have one of the older Martin LJ dongles. If I can find it, you can have it.

I'll look into it...
UPDATE:
elation bought Harman's Martin Software division a couple of years ago, and what LJ evolved into (Onyx) still only runs on PC.
I think I'll look into the MAC software I've found and see if the old Martin USB DMX dongle is recognized as a Core Mac peripheral that functions. I know when I've connected it, the Mac recognizes it in System Profiler.
(and if we can't talk Mac here, I may be in the wrong place...)

Last edited:
I'll look into it...
UPDATE:
elation bought Harman's Martin Software division a couple of years ago, and what LJ evolved into (Onyx) still only runs on PC.
I think I'll look into the MAC software I've found and see if the old Martin USB DMX dongle is recognized as a Core Mac peripheral that functions. I know when I've connected it, the Mac recognizes it in System Profiler.
(and if we can't talk Mac here, I may be in the wrong place...)
Small addendum, the M-Series software turned into Onyx. Light Jockey was just left to die out naturally, they never updated that software.

the Cupertino crew got me early...5th grade is when I was assimilated iirc. Windoze hurts my brain, like Android...which is weird because Android is *nix like MacOS/iOS.
Anyway...for me, recording/audio is easiest on Mac/iOS (I've been using ProTools since it was called Sound Tools by digidesign, right up the road from where I went to college in MA.), which is why I suggested the djay software, why it talks through ableton's link to SoundSwitch for DMX LX stuff.

the Cupertino crew got me early...5th grade is when I was assimilated iirc. Windoze hurts my brain, like Android...which is weird because Android is *nix like MacOS/iOS.
Anyway...for me, recording/audio is easiest on Mac/iOS (I've been using ProTools since it was called Sound Tools by digidesign, right up the road from where I went to college in MA.), which is why I suggested the djay software, why it talks through ableton's link to SoundSwitch for DMX LX stuff.
I watched the ad for the original Macintosh during the 1984 Superbowl, despite not being a fan of the NFL – my roommates had decided we were having a party and watching the game. Not quite two years later I got to see one in operation at a student journalism conference and was completely blown away at what they could do. I got my hands on a Mac Plus for the first time in the spring of 1987 and have never looked back . . .

Posting this because I want to know what happens with this experiment. I'm also a sound person who dabbles in lighting every once in a while, and am looking for a way to get DMX out of QLab and into my LED PARs.

Chauvet has a software call Show express that I believe will run on mac. It is quick and dirty. I use it mainly in my repair shop for testing fixtures. Like old light jockey,it is real easy to quickly build a profile for any fixture . Not sure it will help in your current needs but figured I would throw it out there for you.

I watched the ad for the original Macintosh during the 1984 Superbowl, despite not being a fan of the NFL – my roommates had decided we were having a party and watching the game. Not quite two years later I got to see one in operation at a student journalism conference and was completely blown away at what they could do. I got my hands on a Mac Plus for the first time in the spring of 1987 and have never looked back . . .

Posting this because I want to know what happens with this experiment. I'm also a sound person who dabbles in lighting every once in a while, and am looking for a way to get DMX out of QLab and into my LED PARs.
I've got to get an iLok for the SoundSwitch software, an unanticipated barrier to testing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back