Masonite on a Wenger Pit Cover

Ech725

Has anyone ever covered a Wenger pit cover with masonite?

I can't paint or screw into the pit cover but want to paint the pit cover. I was thinking of maybe a high strength double sided tape but also would like easy cleanup/removal.

How deep is your pit cover? If it is less than 8', I would recommend running your maso upstage-downstage, screwing into the stage, and then taping all of the seams and the front lip.
Another option would be to tackle it like a marley floor - put down the first piece of maso, gaff it to the deck all around, butt the next piece of maso into place, tape it to the deck and the previous piece, and repeat.

We once put down an MDF floor with double-side foam tape. WRONG! Destroyed the MDF and the deck when we pulled it up. It was for a comedy special, so I needed to be certain there would be no problem during the shoot. Turns out it was overkill.

I think Marshall's approach is good. I bet you could also use regular, temporary carpet tape (with the blue backing, from a theatrical supply, not big box). Biggest thing will be to use good quality masonite (again, not big box) and prime on both sides and edges so it wants to lay flat. Use double-tempered if you can afford it.

Years ago, I had success with luan. With some care, I put tape on edges on bottom, and laid next sheet, etc. Basically taped seams on under side. Even repped it in 8x8 pieces, tape as hinge.

Slightly off topic but this reminds me of a nightmare floor decades ago.

For starters the entire set was glossy black which meant hardboard flats with minimal attachment showing. The floor was to show strips like a hardwood floor. Fortunately we could nail into the stage floor easily. The TDs method was to rip 2.5" strips of 3/8 particle board that was stapled down with a 1/8" gap between strips. All was then painted.

Strike wasn't any fun either!

May help you save a little money to skip hard goods altogether. If you stretch a piece of muslin or canvas out in the shop and tape it down you may be able to paint it, let it dry, and deploy it on stage to cover your acting area without touching the finish of your permanent stage floor.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone use ground cloths any more?
I wondered same thing. It does take some planning and they are not available at the local big box store, so that's an impediment. In grad school, we used them.o Thrust like stage, heavy (16 ounce?) canvas, hemmed (after first painting) to fit, grommets, 5/16 x 1 fhms, and knife edge threaded inserts. IIRC they could be reused (repainted) several times, and of course the inserts could be used for many years. It would seem adding the inserts in the pit filler would be an acceptable permanent addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back