masonite woes

kicknargel

I always used to build platforms, stairs etc from rough materials then finish with masonite (hardboard) facing and decking. Sheets were about $13. Now it seems the $13 sheets at the big box are unusable warp-y, and decent sheets from a lumber yard are $18-$20. Some weird supply chain problem? I guess all sheet goods have been pretty steep for a while, but I think the quality decline in a manufactured product is weird. I can't imagine what anyone would do with that masonite.

I haven't seen the quality change around here as far as the box store stuff. They tend to rip up and lose some moving it just from poor handling on the forklift but otherwise haven't noticed a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always used to build platforms, stairs etc from rough materials then finish with masonite (hardboard) facing and decking. Sheets were about $13. Now it seems the $13 sheets at the big box are unusable warp-y, and decent sheets from a lumber yard are $18-$20. Some weird supply chain problem? I guess all sheet goods have been pretty steep for a while, but I think the quality decline in a manufactured product is weird. I can't imagine what anyone would do with that masonite.

I was looking into getting 1/4" maso for a floor covering, and discovered I could get it from the manufacturer direct. The few yards that had it, it was in poor condition.

I pay about $15 a sheet from my local hardware store. If I buy a significant amount I get a better price.

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back