Massive Renovation!

Ampere

Hi there! I work in a blackbox that's about to be renovated, and our lighting budget is looking pretty darn healthy. At this stage I've just been chewing the ears off various colleagues, trying to get a good list together for an in-house demo. But before contacting those eager reps, I was hoping to avail myself to your experience.

The theatre is set up in a cabaret configuration, with an elevated 20' x 12' x 1' (6.10m x 3.66m x 0.30m) stage. The entire room is made up of a 36” (0.91m) square grid, at a height of 14' (4.27m) over the house, and one foot less (3.96m) on stage. While most of our year is comprised of concerts, we do a few plays and dance shows each year.

We're trying to go LED where we can, but would be willing to go with lower wattage lamped movers if necessary.

Let me know what you all think of the list so far, and if you have any suggestions.

All and any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
[/SIZE]

LED CYC LIGHTS:

ChromaQ ColorForce 12:

• 23º, Optional Cyc Optic 80 x 30°, Optional Border lens 60°
  • 1.2A @120V
  • 4kg
PHILIPS PLCYC2 LED Luminaire
  • 2.6A at 115V /1.3A at 240V Maximum 20A Thru Current
  • 9kg

SOURCE FOUR LED CYC ADAPTER

• 2.1kg

LED BORDER LIGHTS:

ChromaQ ColorForce 12:

• 1.2A @120V
  • 4kg

LED FRENELS:

PHILIPS PLFRESNEL1 MARK II LED Luminaire

• Variable beam angle from 15 to 54 degrees
  • The luminaire has a single cable that connects to a yoke mounted top box. The top box has Powercon in and out and DMX in and out sockets which allows for cables to be run and any focus adjustment can be made without impacting on the cabling.
  • 1.2A @120V
  • 5.6kg

SOURCE FOUR LED FRESNEL ADAPTER

• 15-50 degree zoom
  • 4.2kg

LED PROFILES:

PHILIPS PLPROFILE1 MARK II LED Luminaire

• 8°-34° or 24°-44° beam angles.
  • The luminaire has a single cable that connects to a yoke mounted top box. The top box has Powercon in and out and DMX in and out sockets which allows for cables to be run and any focus adjustment can be made without impacting on the cabling.
  • Size M slot.
  • 1.2A @ 120V
  • 8.5kg

PHILIPS PLPROFILE4 LED Luminaire

• 15°-35° and 25°-50° Zoomspots, 14°, 19°, 26°, 36° and 50° Fixed Beams.
  • 360° rotation.
  • Size B slot.
  • 6A @120V
  • 11.5kg

SOURCE FOUR LED Series 2 Lustr® array

• Any/all S4 barrels.
  • 1.44A @120V
  • 8.6kg with std barrel, 6.8kg without std barrel

LED PROFILE MOVERS:

ROBE ROBIN DL4S PROFILE

• Zoom Range: 10° - 45°
  • RGBW or CMY (8 or 16bit) + variable CTO
  • Animation wheel.
  • Prism.
  • Iris.
  • Shutters
  • Effects Wheel
  • Gobo Wheel
  • Frost
  • 4.6A @120V
  • 22.7 kg

MAC Quantum Profile

LED WASH MOVERS:

MAC Aura XB

• Zoom range: 10° - 60°
  • 3.0 Amps (120V)
  • 6.5kg

LAMPED PROFILE MOVERS:

Alpha Profile 700

LAMPED WASH MOVERS:

Sharpy Wash 330 PC

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATED LIST:

LED CYC LIGHTS

ChromaQ ColorForce 12:

• 1.2A @120V
  • 4kg

PHILIPS PLCYC2 LED Luminaire:

• 2.6A at 115V /1.3A at 240V Maximum 20A Thru Current
  • 9kg
SOURCE FOUR LED CYC ADAPTER:
  • 2.1kg

LED BORDER LIGHTS

ChromaQ ColorForce 12:

• 1.2A @120V
  • 4kg

LED FRENELS

PHILIPS PLFRESNEL1 MARK II LED Luminaire:

• Zoom range: 15° - 54°
  • 1.2A @120V
  • 5.6kg

SOURCE FOUR LED FRESNEL ADAPTER:

• 15-50 degree zoom.
  • 4.2kg
Ovation FD-165WW:

• Zoom range: 25° - 76°
  • 1.41A @120V
  • 6.6kg

LED SPOTS

PHILIPS PLPROFILE1 MARK II LED Luminaire:

• 8°-34° or 24°-44° beam angles.
  • Size M slot.
  • 1.2A @ 120V
  • 8.5kg

PHILIPS PLPROFILE4 LED Luminaire:

• 15°-35° and 25°-50° Zoomspots, 14°, 19°, 26°, 36° and 50° Fixed Beams.
  • 360° rotation.
  • Size B slot.
  • 6A @120V
  • 11.5kg

SOURCE FOUR LED Series 2 Lustr® array:

• Any/all S4 barrels.
  • 1.44A @120V
  • 8.6kg with std barrel, 6.8kg without.

SOURCE FOUR COLORSOURCE SPOT:

• Any/all S4 barrels.
  • 1.28A @120V
  • 7.7kg with str barrel, 5.9 kg without.

Ovation ED-190WW

• Zoom range 25°–50°
  • 1.78A @ 120V
  • 12.7kg

LED PROFILE MOVERS

ROBE ROBIN DL4S PROFILE:

High End Systems SolaSpot™ Pro 1500:

MAC Quantum Profile:

LED WASH MOVERS

MAC Aura XB:

• Zoom range: 10° - 60°
  • Beam shaping.
  • 3.0A @120V
  • 6.5kg

GLP impression Wash One:

• Zoom range: 6° - 60°
  • 3° beam mode.
  • Beam shaping.
  • 3.34A @120V
  • 22kg

Which venue is this?
I wouldn't recommend some of your mover choices (MAC Quantum, Clay Paky lamped movers) for a 14' trim height. If you have the budget, I would go LED for movers in that size of space.
Also consider ColorForce 48 instead of 12. You would need fewer of them (less cable; less failure points) and they could still work for most applications.

What are your intended uses for LED profiles and fresnels? Are they to replace conventionals completely, or supplement the existing conventional rig with color washes? Pastel washes?

Which venue is this?
I wouldn't recommend some of your mover choices (MAC Quantum, Clay Paky lamped movers) for a 14' trim height. If you have the budget, I would go LED for movers in that size of space.
Also consider ColorForce 48 instead of 12. You would need fewer of them (less cable; less failure points) and they could still work for most applications.

What are your intended uses for LED profiles and fresnels? Are they to replace conventionals completely, or supplement the existing conventional rig with color washes? Pastel washes?

Venue: Top Secret.
Movers: Already eliminated the lamped movers, and I agree that the Quantum is a bit lacking with that short a throw --- but aside from its limited zoom, what other concerns do you have?
ColorForce: I'm considering the 12 vs the 48 because of their greater versatility, we don't have a true cyc, so it would be more of an upstage curtain wash. Might even used them in a bounce application for house lighting.
Intention: We're going entirely LED. Ideally those profile movers would be used as wash lamps/back specials/breakup washes, and effects, but even with a healthy budget there are some limitations. We'll probably be relying on the LED frenels for our washes, then supplement with the movers.

Thanks again for the advice!

Altman Spectra Cyc 100 or 200 works very close to the cyc with great blending side to side.

Consider some Par Wash with or in place of the fresnels. I love the x7 color range, but think some D40s with various lenses will give you more for less.

The color force with narrow lenses are good to keep the light on the drape, and avoid spill.

If you are looking at Philips stuff, check out the Showline for border and footlights. They work for drape, but at 60 degree lens, it's tough to control spill.
The version 1 of the PLcyc was not great, don't know about the 2.

The PL4 is not bright compared to a source 4 575w, but might be fine in your space.
Chauvet also has a color mixing(RGBAL)S4 lens comparable leko coming out this weekend at LDI. The white version is on par with a 575, so it's worth a look at.

They also have some border light/strip lite looking things coming too.

Check out the Chauvet R2 Wash over the Aura. It's like comparing Coke with Pepsi, but one is half price.

Have you accounted for power and data distribution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back