Master Carrier with brake? Not for a Traveller

blackisthenewblack

I have some side stage Germans that are on a sliding track, I am wondering if there were any master carrier options that have an included brake in them. What I am looking for is a product like this Manfrotto option, but with something I can actually clip curtains into. I have looked at a couple of other options, but they all seem to be much longer and much taller. I would love something in the 6-8" length with limited height. In my perfect world, I would like to use these to prevent all the little kid dancers from pushing my curtains all over the place.

Germans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blog-german-directness.jpg

H&H has a few carriers with brakes I've used. Maybe inaccurate to call them a master carrier. I've use them on the off stage edge of travellers where in normal use the curtain stacks against the brakes carrier, but to clear the (dead hung) stage, release the brake and stack against the wall. I've combined this with a bag and clear on the wall, so bag the curtain and hook on cleat - clear floor. Trying traveller floor blocks mounted on wall next.

Now, more than one if us who is uncertain of what a "German" is assuming its a curtain on a track. I'm guessing side tab - up and down stage walk along - and the brake is an excellent idea. Maybe I'll add those. It is like a $250 carrier....

Now, more than one if us who is uncertain of what a "German" is assuming its a curtain on a track. I'm guessing side tab - up and down stage walk along - and the brake is an excellent idea. Maybe I'll add those. It is like a $250 carrier....

I was told an upstage downstage curtain was labels as a traverse curtain but I don't see traverse being auto corrected to German. Please OP would love to her yours.

I guess this would be a canadianism. It is an US DS curtain used to mask side stage. Mainly used when your theatre designer does not know how sightlines work and how to place seats accordingly. In my case it is manually pulled along, which unfortunately to the uninitiated is pulled out of place within 30 seconds of the show starting... So if I were to place something like this at either end of my curtain, it would take more effort to move it. And rather than tie my curtain straight to structure, I would like to be able to push them aside for loadin and cleaning purposes.

Ah so it's what I know as a Tab. And no not the diet cola beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some side stage Germans that are on a sliding track, I am wondering if there were any master carrier options that have an included brake in them. What I am looking for is a product like this Manfrotto option, but with something I can actually clip curtains into. I have looked at a couple of other options, but they all seem to be much longer and much taller. I would love something in the 6-8" length with limited height. In my perfect world, I would like to use these to prevent all the little kid dancers from pushing my curtains all over the place.
http://www.automaticdevices.com/rotodrapers
brake is optional
proxy.php

Pivot is optional too! Thus a master carrier with a brake.

Thought they were tabs.

As for "Mainly used when yourtheatre designer does not know how sightlines work and how to place seats accordingly. " I know how and illustrate it for almost every priject but few clients can afford the wide legs, more legs (and requisite rigging), and more wing space it requires.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
"Germans?"
"Forget it, he's rolling."

As for "Mainly used when yourtheatre designer does not know how sightlines work and how to place seats accordingly. " I know how and illustrate it for almost every priject but few clients can afford the wide legs, more legs (and requisite rigging), and more wing space it requires.

Imagine this also gets difficult in spaces where the stage apron is shallow, so the front row of the audience ends up with a very wide view of the opposite side of the stage.

I don't know the exact number, but in the end legs only probably have to be 5' to 8' or so wider to mask the same as tabs. Not many multipurpose stages can give up that much wing space.

If you try to solve it with a narrower auditorium and deeper forestage, you're just increasing the viewing distances, and the highest three priorities in theatre design are proximity, proximity, and proximity.

For whatever its worth, In my experience when you decrease a soft good's movement, you increase is ability to tear. I've seen many a set piece catch on a traveler and drag it open a foot or two before someone notices and corrects the problem, imagine if the traveler was locked in place...

For whatever its worth, In my experience when you decrease a soft good's movement, you increase is ability to tear. I've seen many a set piece catch on a traveler and drag it open a foot or two before someone notices and corrects the problem, imagine if the traveler was locked in place...

Seems reasonable for a typical traveller, but legs are typically fixed, and "Germans" as we now know track up and down stage, and scenery is likely moving perpendicular to the track. Curtains are not forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back