Maximizing video monitor life??

Discussion in 'Multimedia, Projection, and Show Control' started by RonHebbard, May 22, 2019.

1. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

In this case a computer monitor; in terms of maximizing a monitor screen's back-light.
    I'm suspecting turning the screen's back-light on is more stressful than leaving it running.
    Currently I have my monitor power down after 30 minutes of inactivity although It's probably in use approximately 18 hours daily. For purposes of this query I'm not questioning burn-in; we've beat that to death here previously. Thoughts? Comments?? Suggestions??? @DELO72 @MNicolai @Ancient Engineer @FMEng @dvsDave @Anybody??
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

2. dvsDave

dvsDave Benevolent Dictator Administrator Senior Team CB Mods Fight Leukemia

Most monitors these days are backlit by LEDs, unless they are OLED displays. Heat is what will wear down a LED much more than cycling it on and off. 20 minutes of inactivity to turn off sounds good to me.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Amiers

Amiers Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.

Lighting Floor Tech
    You are living the rich life just buy a new one when it dies.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Sherpa CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    I agree that if it is backlit, then let it cycle off and cool down.

5. JD

JD Well-Known Member

LED backlight failures are very common on TVs and Monitors as the LEDs tend to be cranked! Heat buildup is the #1 factor in aging. They don't care if they are turned on and off 100 times a second. Any rest time will extend their life. My vote is to let them cool off any chance they get.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. macsound

macsound Well-Known Member

In regards to heat as well, many parents of friends of mine tend to have offices in less than optimal spaces and end up placing a space heater under their desk.
    The desk being almost against the wall, a fair amount of heat travels up the back of the desk directly onto the monitor placed atop the desk, effectively cooking it without realizing because they forget, heat rises.

I have a stack of mac minis and was always worried about the heat, so I bought a little USB fan just to add some air movement behind them. [​IMG]

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't worry about it at all. My monitors go to sleep about about 20 minutes, mainly just to save on power, and to reduce the light pollution in the room. I'm not worried about the life of the monitor at all. Monitors are dirt cheap, you can pick up used ones off of craigslist, facebook, or wherever else for $10-$20. I have a pair of 3 year old 27" 1080p monitors that I couldn't get anyone to offer me more than $50 for the pair. They're perfectly fine, but I screwed up and sat in front of a 4k monitor for a while and just couldn't stand 1080p anymore.

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

I have monitors in places where they run 24/7. Good ones seem to last around 5-8 years, so I wouldn't worry much. The typical failure is the switching supply, not the back light. Allowing the monitor to go to sleep for inactivity should extend the life as it lowers the temperature.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

Just so they don't plug the space heater into the UPS.

Yes, I've seen that done.

A lot.

More than half the time.

RonHebbard and macsound like this.