The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

MD Discs Die After How Many Uses?

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by Chris Chapman, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Chris Chapman

Chris Chapman Active Member

Technical Director
    Anybody else have a good estimate on how long Mini-Discs can be written, erased, and re-written. I have some old discs that are throwing errors on recording. The unit is a TASCAM MD-350, and it is 100% reliable on playback. I think it's old media that is nailing me.

Any thoughts?

(And do not even begin to rag on MiniDisc units. Still more flexible than CD-R's.)

-Chris Chapman
    TD, GPAC

2. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    Sony says that it's MD media is good for multiple thousands of record/erase cycles. Wikipedia says that MDs are good for one million of cycles. Have you tried using a head cleaning cartridge? Are the discs dusty?

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

I have found that usually around a 100 or so, depending. From what I can recall (its been awhile since i have used MD) that when a MD went south, it went south very hard and very quickly.

4. Chris Chapman

Technical Director
    The discs don't seem to be dusty, but I do know that they are pretty old. Time to try to invest in some new media.

**** budget cuts.... grumble grumble mutiny mutiny...

5. BenFranske

BenFranske Member

Just a thought but you might invest in a new recording system instead (for example something compact flash based) as the quality will be better and the media easier to find. The recorders have come down to a reasonable price and I can get 1GB flash cards locally for $10 now.

6. Chris Chapman

Technical Director
    Yeah I know. I'm starting to look at an All Digital setup with a ProTools Rig and a good playback engine. Again, budget cuts sometimes define the hardware.

-Chris

7. wolf825

wolf825 Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

MD's are very re-writable...however the problem most run into I have found is that they are not completely erasing the discs before re-recording over them--instead folks simply erase the tracks they do not want or add new ones to the end or overwrite.. Do this enough times without a complete wipe--and the TOC then can become jumbled in info--the TOC is the list of contents the MD uses to read the info... Whenever I have run into problems I simply erase the entire disc and start over and usually I have no more problems.... Thats my experience with MD's and problems--dunno if it helps but figured I would share...

-w

8. BenFranske

BenFranske Member

You need not spend lots of money and go "all digital" to reap the rewards of switching to a compact flash based recording method. For $400 you can get a compact flash recorder and as I mentioned above the media is quite inexpensive. As a bonus the quality will be better than the MD and it is extremely easy to transfer it digitally to a PC for editing, dumping to a CD or whatnot. If you need to locate and find say 10 new MDs you might be better off to relace the system with something a bit more modern for just a little bit more. Just some thoughts.