Meat racks

So I have started to design some new meat racks for my schools lights because the ones we have are some old costume racks with some schedule 40 bolted to them. The pipe has started to bend from the weight because the veridical supports are not designed to hold 2000lb of lights and the plastic casters have been getting flat spots on them that makes them very hard to role.
If any one has any photos of their racks or any good ideas and tips for a proper meat rack that will last, I would love to hear/see them.

Thanks

I know a guy who sells them here in Chicago. If you want to buy, I'll pass his # along.

Measure the space you are working in before you build, nothing is worse than not being able to wheel something through a door and havening to take the long way to get someplace.

Measure the space you are working in before you build, nothing is worse than not being able to wheel something through a door and havening to take the long way to get someplace.

Most commercial space doors ways are 34 - 36" wide X 6'-9" 7' tall, that's why I've always buit meat racks no wider than 32" and no taller that 6'-8". I know I posted a Sketchup of a meat rack a while back as well.

Meat racks are often custom built dependand upon what is stored on them and how much of it is stored. Can buy them but it would be custom. A meat rack that would optimize the storage space of S-4 PARs, unless extra slots for the pipe, would not optimize that for S-4 Lekos, this much less old style 18" scoops.

Nothing wrong with the economy plumbing supplier solution if built to your needs. Simple carted platform of plywood (pay attention to the caster type in load rating) with some floor flanges for Sch. 40 pipe bolted to it - say two or three rails of it, than various lengths and fittings when cross braced to store what is intended. Perhaps even a shelf above or for sway bracing economically built. Beyond that, yep it's a custom thing, our Leko Manager constantly refines the design of such a thing and they are not cheap to have consctructed for you. Than you get into various lamp bar and cyc light type storage units.

For the most part, can buy, can get welded for you and they will work well especially when you pre-design for the various fixture types installed, otherwise you can build as long as just as much design and bracing is done. Could be as simple as some Sch. 40 pipes with laterals that have tapped and braced straps between bars to keep them from bending. Keep in mind door widths and casters but not too difficult.

On the other hand one ton of lights per cart... one would be hard pressed to make any cart that would hold 2,000#.

One place I worked used Chair Racks, similar to these to hold and transport unused fixtures. Just put the yoke over the "arms," didn't matter if the fixture had a clamp or not.

Worth a thought?

Ive built a couple of my own meat racks for different places, just do the measurements and find someone to weld it up for you, i just used sqaure tube then put some reinforcement triangles on the corners to hold them together, works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back