Mechanix gloves

I agree with Phil. I keep a pair of HotHands for focusing only, it is the only time they come out. oTher than that it is leather setware gloves for me. I have tried lots of gloves, and so far the only ones that have lasted for more than a month or two are the leather setware gloves. Everything else I have tried has worn out way to fast. So, from my personal experience, leather setware gloves are the only ones for me (and of course, not the faux leather ones). Totally worth the money.

I've got hot hands and love them, I get a little ribbing now and then about wearing gloves while focusing, but then I hear those people swearing about how the light just burned then. The one thing they don't handle very well is par cans, they can be in contact for a short time but if I leave my hand on too long I really start to feel the heat. I have held source fours for long periods of time (human boom for 5-10 minutes).

That's it, I'm getting a pair of Hot Hands now.

Mechanix are great gloves and I love them for general use in the shop, on load in/out, pushing stuff around etc... But they are not for heat. Go with the Set Ware Hot Hands, they were designed for use with hot lights.

Is there a particular type of Mechanix glove that are best for load in/out situations? I own a pair of Setwear Hot Hands that I use for focusing lights but I'm looking into getting another pair of gloves for moving stuff around.

Is there a particular type of Mechanix glove that are best for load in/out situations? I own a pair of Setwear Hot Hands that I use for focusing lights but I'm looking into getting another pair of gloves for moving stuff around.
Look at the mpact 2 from mechanix, it has little pcb 'tabs' over the knuckles so you don't have to learn about road cases the hard way:oops:

remember mpact2 from mechanix does not equal mpact pro. The mpact pro uses like a much less strong rubber exoskeleton, but it does have some kind of leather on the palm...

:mrgreen:

I wish you people could see "the look" I give to stagehands when I ask them to tie something with trick line and then wait for them to take off their gloves. Or I ask them to push a road case and wait an eternity for them to put on their gloves. Butch up everyone, and grow a pair, even the females. The only time gloves are a necessity is when handling aluminum truss in the winter or black iron pipe in the summer.

I used to enjoy doing a load-in/out in a hemp house and then that night running a lightboard while digging the splinters out of my hands with tweezers and grossing out the SM sitting beside me. But I know she wouldn't have preferred the alternate method males had for removing splinters from their hands!;)

I wish you people could see "the look" I give to stagehands when I ask them to tie something with trick line and then wait for them to take off their gloves. Or I ask them to push a road case and wait an eternity for them to put on their gloves. Butch up everyone, and grow a pair, even the females. The only time gloves are a necessity is when handling aluminum truss in the winter or black iron pipe in the summer.
I used to enjoy doing a load-in/out in a hemp house and then that night running a lightboard while digging the splinters out of my hands with tweezers and grossing out the SM sitting beside me. But I know she wouldn't have preferred the alternate method males had for removing splinters from their hands!;)

I own a pair of Hot Hands, and as it has been said, I only use them for focusing.

MIGHT get a pair of leather fingerless for rigging.

I find that I almost always want my dexterity and the feel I can only get from my fingers.

And Derek, does the alternative method use a knife, cause if so I'm guilty as charged.

BIP outside in summer heat and sun is godawful idea. I didn't clue-in to using gloves a day or two in. People get angry holding BIP in the air, knowing they can't let go. :mrgreen:

Slightly funny story on this topic. I worked for a summer as a welder, and I have found nothing that compares in heat protection when focusing than the Black Stallion 320s that I got out of that summer. And the amazing thing is, they aren't really too thick for most focusing needs. Just for a sense of their heat protection, I had one light on fire one time (accident that I did not cause) and recieved no injuries from it. Barely felf the heat.

meh meh meh 'mah name is derek and aaahm a tuff guy!'

Well derek, I happen to like my soft baby palms so there.

I can tie everything I need to with my gloves on, as for road cases, the mpact2 is not at all for the moving of it...it's mainly for protection when the genius next to you loads (slams) his roadcase into yours in the truck.

but tomorrow I get the joy of loading in some AL truss in february in cleveland. And I WILL have gloves.

Phil

I'm sorry that the stagehands that you have worked with are super dooper slow, but mind you, not everyone is.

Ever been cut across the palm of your hand by a jagged piece of metal, or almost had your hand crushed by a trampoline that likes to rotate while unloading? I'm not a crybaby or anything, but injury's suck in this business and bleeding all over the place and not being able to open or close your hand without thinking, "um yea, that's no fun" is no good either.

I'm not a fan of splinters either and prefer to avoid them when unloading wood.

I'm sorry that the stagehands that you have worked with are super dooper slow, but mind you, not everyone is.
Ever been cut across the palm of your hand by a jagged piece of metal, or almost had your hand crushed by a trampoline that likes to rotate while unloading? I'm not a crybaby or anything, but injury's suck in this business and bleeding all over the place and not being able to open or close your hand without thinking, "um yea, that's no fun" is no good either.
I'm not a fan of splinters either and prefer to avoid them when unloading wood.

Yar, that's what I used my gloves for downtown. Makes it worry free. Sure, I did get a look or two the first time, but they spent the rest of their traditional "post-lumber delivery smoke breaks" with knives on their palms getting splinters out... :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back