Medium (Edison) Base Lamp Sockets

DarSax

Hey all, for our next production we're going to need quite a few medium (edison) base lamp sockets. I've looked online, and found a fair amount of information, but most products are designed for indoor use. While yes, the show is indoors, I'd be wary of using something like that onstage.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to get the ones you see in dank basements with a bare bulb, the ones that look kind of like this
proxy.php
. So far I've only found them on one website, does anyone know of any manufacturers/vendors of them? I'd assume major hardware stores would have them, but I certainly can't find them on their website...

I just used bases like the one used inside a scenic light box on an opera. Their easy to wire, and you can screw them to whatever you need to attach it to.

I presume Home Depot or Lowes or similar would have them. I don't know model numbers, but if you ask for a basic porcelain lamp base, thats probably what they would give you.

Try this
Link
Just D/L thier product catalog for light sockets.
I got all my "Carnival Light" sockets and "sign Mount" sockets for Assassins from these guys. They should be availible from any local electrical sales house, or cantact them to find dealer near you.

I just love the way that thing is crawling with UL stickers! ;)

Ah yes! The good old days!

Darsax, your first picture would work, but there is a version with a second piece that covers the open contacts, which always scare me.

When you go to Home Depot and get your keyless sockets, remember to get J boxes for them as well.
proxy.php

I prefer the ceramic keyless sockets. They're beefier, usually have nicer contacts, and are just as strong as the plastic. I've shattered plenty of the plastic bases.
proxy.php

...but shattered pieces of plastic are much less dangerous than ceramic. But it's your call. They're all around the same price. The ceramic might even be cheaper. All carry a UL Rating. And I agree with the junction box. Totally a good idea. I work at Lowe's so go there if you can help it ;-)

Are the junction boxes necessary? I know its designed to go with them, but is there a lower-profile alternative?

Are the junction boxes necessary? I know its designed to go with them, but is there a lower-profile alternative?

Technically, yes. The contacts for the bases are open on the bottom, therefore to be within code you have to place the contacts inside an enclosure.

The Home Depot links aren't working. Surprise. lol.

What're the names of the products? Don't work at'all.

Man, Home Depot search is terrible.

But I I see what you mean, but unfortunately we're going to need to build this into an applause sign, not hanging them. If I'm lucky, I'll convince the set designer to just let me use rope light, same effect and a lot easier.

Oh applause sign? Well then your first lamp base from your first post would be fine.

Here's a related question, thanks so much for the help so far.

Where can I find those metal/silver dipped bulbs? The ones where the top half of the bulb "globe" has been dipped in some metallic substance so as to reflect the light out the bottom of the bulb.

Do you have any industrial suppliers near you? A commercial lighting shop should have them, mine do.

Or, this link.

Once again, its the term that I needed to know. Thanks, gafftapegreenia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back