Mega Lite Drama LED Ellipsiodal

Robert F Jarvis

We've had 10 of these 120 watt jobs for about 3 year on a cove bar. Over the past 6 moths we have seen 3 of them start to turn off and then back on a few minutes later when run over 80%. It looks like a heat problem. We've been up there several times to check the fans, blow out any dust bunnies etc. 3 out of 10 is getting serious. We'd be interested in finding out who might be using these and their experiences. And, if anyone reckons there is a fix for the problem we'd love to hear it.

I would call the manufacturer. Seems like they have a physical presence here in the United States so you should be able to get someone on the phone. I'm not sure how good their support is because I've never heard of them before, but if you're seeing it roll through several units it's likely they will be familiar with the problem. If they say a new LED driver is $50 or $200, you would have to decide if it's worth it to you to repair or replace with someone else's product knowing you're likely going to have a recurring issue on all of your other fixtures as well.

Otherwise, bring the faulty units down and run them on a workbench for awhile. Open them up, visually inspect for obvious issues like leaky capacitors, make them angry and see if blowing a fan or a heat gun (or a hair dryer for that matter) on them makes any difference in how quickly or consistently they cycle. Could be something simple like the fan bearings have become gakked up and aren't moving as much air as they should be. Could be they've got thermal paste between the LED emitter package and the heatsink that needs to be reapplied.

Unfortunately what's most likely is that Mega cheaped on components and they are overdriving what those power supplies can reasonably handle. The market for cheap LED's is a race to the bottom with everyone in that market under pressure to deliver more lumens per emitter package. I am not optimistic if you find the source of the problem that you'll be able to remedy it for very long. It's probably a design flaw resulting from an effort to score more lumens on a cut sheet.

Thanks. I reckon the next step will be to contact some dealer or mfg here in the US. I haven't seen any other replies saying these things have a generic problem and agree whole heartedly with your comments about PSUs for LED.
If I do find anything useful I'll post for others benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back