Megalite DRAMA LED Ellipsiodal Problems

Robert F Jarvis

We have ten of these on a cove bar. One of them turns off after about ten/twenty minutes of use only to turn back on some minutes later. It's running in "P" mode (Single channel/address) and there are no FX in the program. It's intensity is controlled by our Phillips Strand console. All the others are good. I've seen LEDs (and regular dimmer packs) come on - AFTER the console was shut down - but never this intermittent behavior. Ideas/thoughts?

We have ten of these on a cove bar. One of them turns off after about ten/twenty minutes of use only to turn back on some minutes later. It's running in "P" mode (Single channel/address) and there are no FX in the program. It's intensity is controlled by our Phillips Strand console. All the others are good. I've seen LEDs (and regular dimmer packs) come on - AFTER the console was shut down - but never this intermittent behavior. Ideas/thoughts?
@Robert F Jarvis Two thoughts:
1; In the case of the unit shutting down after five to ten minutes: Is ventilation / overheating / clogged air vents ( in and / or out) a possibility?
2; In the case of the units switching on while your console's shut down: Are all cables approved for DMX and are all DMX runs terminated with a 120 Ohm termination?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Easy enough to pull down and trouble shoot.

In addition to what @RonHebbard suggests,it could also be a break in a solder line. As the unit heats up the break opens causing it to turn off. As it cools down, the pathway is closed and it comes back on. Any decent electronics shop would be able to execute that kind of of repair.

@Robert F Jarvis Two thoughts:
1; In the case of the unit shutting down after five to ten minutes: Is ventilation / overheating / clogged air vents ( in and / or out) a possibility?
2; In the case of the units switching on while your console's shut down: Are all cables approved for DMX and are all DMX runs terminated with a 120 Ohm termination?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Thanks Ron. Didn't think to look at the vents when 30' up there the other day. Once this show clears i'll take another look. As I said the other 9 are good.
Re the On after shutdown we mainly get this with legacy lights coming off a ETC Sensor dimmer rack - so no terminator issues there. I think it may be a 20 years old CEM the theater are too tight to upgrade. When I use LEDS - I'm careful to use terminators on longer runs. Sooo! I'll watch out for it happening again and seeing if I can find out anything.

One other thing you might try then next time you can be 30 feet up:), trade places with the unit that is acting up with another one that works right. Is the bad boy still bad in the new location? If so, you might consider a trip for it back to the mothership in Texas.

One other thing you might try then next time you can be 30 feet up:), trade places with the unit that is acting up with another one that works right. Is the bad boy still bad in the new location? If so, you might consider a trip for it back to the mothership in Texas.
@JohnD Are you thinking faulty power, faulty DMX or a ventilation / heating anomaly? Where're your thoughts leading??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hoping to get up there Tuesday. I think I'll take it down and run it from a floor DMX until we work out what is worng. Thing is the units are still supposedly under warranty and I'm waiting for the admin here to contact APA who set it all up. Them or me; it's going to be easier then getting a scissor lift out half a dozen times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back