meow - the alleged kat here (and gone)

Kahana

hi! i am new here, getting deeper into technical theatre along with acting and music. actually, i have a technical question looming right now, but have been unable to figure out how to post to a specific forum.

iʻm working in community theatre as a volunteer (arenʻt we all?), acting, lighting and sound design, and "tech operator", running the boards during shows. iʻve run lights while acting (i donʻt recommend it) using QLab remote, and now am getting back into live audio sound reinforcement.

iʻm hoping to get into grad school for an MFA in acting, perhaps paying my way doing tech work. hahaha. i think iʻm delusional.

right now, i am dealing with an old Mackie DFX-12, the LED meter "bridge" has gone out - just shows maxed out, everything lit green to red, both channels, but other than that, everything works fine. iʻd like to be able to sell it, with a functional meter.

iʻm sure iʻll have more questions as i get more familiar here.

oh, the alleged kat disappears a lot - sheʻs quite introverted, and only rumors of her float on the air, motes in the ghost light, after sheʻs done what she needs to do.

I think on these Mackie (and most similar) mixers, the entire circuit--perhaps except for the power supply--is on a single big PCB. You'd have to do component level diagnosis and repair to get the meters working again; that should not be too terribly difficult for someone who knows what they're doing to figure out, but would be pretty hard for a neophyte to fix (and almost certainly involves desoldering and soldering some surface mount parts). Getting to the PCB is also rather a pain, though not actually tricky, as every single knob and screw and nut must be removed from the front panel.

I'd suggest instead some soul-searching. In fully operational used condition, what could you realistically get for this mixer--$100 or $125 maybe on a good day? As it is, what could you get--$75 maybe? Is it worth all the time and effort and money to fix it for the $25 - $50 more you'd be able to get? For me, the answer would be a resounding no...but then again, I'm not you.

Welcome Aboard!
If you click on any of the forums on the main page it will take you to that forum, then in the upper right side of the screen there is a button, right next to the search field, that says "Post new Thread".
You would probably want to go to "Sound, Music, And Intercom" forum hit the Post new thread button and from there it's pretty straight forward. If you have an issue just give one of us a yell.

I think on these Mackie (and most similar) mixers, the entire circuit--perhaps except for the power supply--is on a single big PCB. . .

thank you so much, DrewE. i was afraid that was what was inside - a single motherboard with maybe a separate power board. oh well, it served me well for my purposes back in the day. a little too big for a doorstop, but maybe i can get guitar strings on a best offer, hahaha. thank you again!!!

Welcome Aboard!
If you click on any of the forums on the main page it will take you to that forum, then in the upper right side of the screen there is a button, right next to the search field, that says "Post new Thread".
You would probably want to go to "Sound, Music, And Intercom" forum hit the Post new thread button and from there it's pretty straight forward. If you have an issue just give one of us a yell.

thank you, Van! i couldn’t find that [Post New Thread] button for the longest time, then i realized i wasn’t logged in. *smh*
i’m sure i’ll be over on that board soon with a question about an Ashley PQ 26.

yeah, i’m still living in the stone age of sound reinforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back