Meteor's Omni DMX Control System?

Has anyone heard of, or used Meteor’s Omni DMX Controller System? Good? Bad? Or indifferent? Meteor also has a moving mirror attachment for an ellipsoidal fixture called Elip Scan that can be controlled by a joystick. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Thanks,

Stew’

One thing I noticed is the pc section doesn't specifically say it runs on winXP. It may, but it doesn't say it does that I found. Also, I couldn't find a screenshot of the pc interface. Seems like another entry into the pc dmx field. Hard to tell what it's capable of, but I'd keep shopping if I were you. There are others and you may like one of them better.

stewmillsap said:
Has anyone heard of, or used Meteor’s Omni DMX Controller System? Good? Bad? Or indifferent? Meteor also has a moving mirror attachment for an ellipsoidal fixture called Elip Scan that can be controlled by a joystick. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Thanks,

Stew’

The Elip Scan and Elip Scan Pro is not bad - but it is an 8 bit 'fixture', so a smooth follow spot it is not (with or without a joystick). The 'speed' channels are also a little goofy, making the mirrors harder to control from a non-moving-light console than they need to be.

As far as control, I can't really say. We got used to run a big "holiday tree" made out of Elip Scans in Vegas a few months ago after a Meteor provided constrol system did not work out, but I don't have any details (IE, it could have been anything from operator error to explosions :)).

-jjf

stewmillsap said:
Do you have any suggestions on other similar systems for around $2,000.
Thanks,

Stew'

LightJockey by Martin usually available for around $1200
HogPC by High End usually available for around $1500
Compuware by Elation I think it goes for about $1000
AxisDMX by ? unknown price
unknown model by Innovate Show Controls unknown price
and a bunch of others.

There are other threads about pc based dmx control on this forum.

stewmillsap said:
Do you have any suggestions on other similar systems for around $2,000.
Thanks,

Stew'

$2000 for a 256 channel, 64 fixture system? How about almost anything...

Sorry, I'm a competitor, but for almost any application I can think of much better values from multiple (solid) vendors.

If you are more specific about what, exactly, you want to do with lighting (club, theatre, corporate event, etc.) the more objective participants here (like I said, I'm biased) could probably give you better recommendations.

-jjf

Note: With the exception of LJ, Len's prices are a little high. Most of the vendors have responded to our pricing structure (example, Sunlight/Compuware entry level system is an exact match for our entry level pricing (albiet with fewer channels and no external tactile input or triggering). Martin is also being very aggressive in Maxxyz PC pricing structure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back