Microphones Mic Element repair

Hello everyone

I have tasked myself to repair around 10 elements the are Sennhesier ME2, the ones that come with the G3 bundles. I purchased the new connectors, assuming most of the issues are the connectors and a short somewhere around the connector.

My question is that there are 2 wires in these elements and 3 pins. They have the TRS 2.5mm locking connector. The white wire goes to the tip, and bare wire goes to Ring and Sleeve. My question is that does it really have to go to the Ring. I have a transmitter to test them, on the SK300 I cn see if it receiving signal, but I don't have receiver to hear the single. I'm worried that if I don't connect the Sleeve and Ring, that there will be a hum. IS that true? What is the best way to connect the ring and sleeve if i can't go without the ring. the poles have holes in them. Do I run the sire though one whole and solder to the other?

Steve

Your pinout is indeed Hot to Tip, Ground to Ring/Sleeve. I think the first thing to do before you re-wire a ton of stuff is to get a receiver to confirm you re-wired correctly. I would shy away from pulling more ground out and wrapping around - a more simple solution is to short ring to sleeve with a dab of solder, making sure you keep as much lamination around your hot wire as possible so there is no risk of shorting inside the connector.

The idea for the holes are to run your wire through the back and drop a dab of solder into the back of them, make contact on the front, and solder to that so you have two points of contact before failure.

I don't know if it'll hum without the ring, I would assume not but it's spec'd from Sennheiser and I always re-terminate to manufacturer specifications because you never know what'll change between device generations.

Hello everyone

I have tasked myself to repair around 10 elements the are Sennhesier ME2, the ones that come with the G3 bundles. I purchased the new connectors, assuming most of the issues are the connectors and a short somewhere around the connector.

My question is that there are 2 wires in these elements and 3 pins. They have the TRS 2.5mm locking connector. The white wire goes to the tip, and bare wire goes to Ring and Sleeve. My question is that does it really have to go to the Ring. I have a transmitter to test them, on the SK300 I cn see if it receiving signal, but I don't have receiver to hear the single. I'm worried that if I don't connect the Sleeve and Ring, that there will be a hum. IS that true? What is the best way to connect the ring and sleeve if i can't go without the ring. the poles have holes in them. Do I run the sire though one whole and solder to the other?

Steve
off hand, got a link for where you picked up those connectors for replacement?

These are the ones I use: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/27-8180 $4

ME2's usually get a cable break within 1 inch of the connector or even in the connector. I found slipping a 2 inch section of heat-shrink on when changing the connectors helps. (Also, pot the jack shell) The other failure (rare) is right at or in the mic. The mic does come apart, but you need good soldering skills for that fix.

It doesn't show up in the picture well, but that bottom ring does slip down and thread onto the jack on the pack just like the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back