Mic Mount For 1.5" Pipe?

Colin

Here's a new one to me (but surely not some of you): looking for something to mount and aim a shotgun mic from a typical sch.40 pipe grid. Suggestions? Thinking something like what clamps a gooseneck to a drum rack tube, but potentially positioned over people's skulls.

Aluminum flat stock, drill a hole to mount a lighting clamp, add clamp. Drill holes for Atlas mic flange, rivet flange to flat stock opposite lighting c clamp, both side and end. Drill a hole and attach a safety cable to the flat stock. Mount microphone as normal, attach cable, make sure it locks. Why go through this, well if mounting to a lighting pipe you would be amazed at how much noise a light makes as it heats up and cools down. Got wiggle lights or I-Cues? Noise. Depending on what you are mounting near dictates length of flat stock. I use four footers for mine. I paint the stock black to make my scenic designer happy. I use mine for dressing room feed and ALS so it needs to be clean when a feed from the sound board isn’t a better option, think opera or Shakespeare done traditionally.

Just to add another option... you may already have the hardware you need and not realize it. Lots of mic clips come with some variation on these adapters that have 1/4-20 threads on the inside. That plus a short bolt, a clamp, and a piece of flat stock with corresponding holes in it, and you're good to go. I've never felt the urge to stick a microphone on a camera tripod, but those adapters sure have come in handy for other things.

My assisted listening install has this need and my solution is to the following assembly:

A standard truss type clamp:
A 3/8" bolt or flat head screw to a K&M thread adapter (the Euro kind often included with mics):
From there you can either mount a regular clip to the adapter thread or continue with any other mic mount accessory; such as a boom arm (my planned option):

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back