Mic placement for recording concert

thebikingtechie

I am recording a concert on saturday with limited equipment, I have one condenser mic and two sm58 and two sm 57. For most of the concert I won't be able to have mics on stage, I am also not able to hang anything from most of the FOH lighting bars. I can think of three options, option 1: tape the condenser to the part of the foh bars that overhang the tech mezzanine, this would be to the right of or equal to the procemium arch by a few feet. Option 2: Put a condenser mic in the window of the tech booth, this high up in the back center or the house. Option 3: Put a condenser on a stand on the floor in front of the stage.

Which of these will give me the best sound?

Thanks

The tape idea is not even an option, that's just asking for trouble. If you could come up with some sort of adapter to fit a mic clip on a pipe clamp that might work though.
I think you would be best off with the mic on the floor stand. Put it as close to the middle of the room as you can get if you want the audience reactions included. Otherwise just put it CS in the orchestra pit or something.

The tape idea is not even an option, that's just asking for trouble. If you could come up with some sort of adapter to fit a mic clip on a pipe clamp that might work though.
I think you would be best off with the mic on the floor stand. Put it as close to the middle of the room as you can get if you want the audience reactions included. Otherwise just put it CS in the orchestra pit or something.
If you use one of http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/AltmanClamp.jpgthese c clamps, you can take it off of the shaft, and it can be used to attach it to a mic stand boom and hang it from basically anywhere you can hang a light and can run xlr to. For our last show we put two dance booms at the proscenium and put a shotgun on each of them this way. (We wanted them to pick up closer to the middle of the stage rather than just near the proscenium.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back