mic placment

Okay heres my problem.

I'm running sound for a production at the moment and one of the instruments used is a Hammered Dulcimer. I'm familiar with the instrument and it has a very nice sound to it but i'm not sure how to mic it up for the purposes of live mix/recording.

any suggestions?

One trick to use on mic placement is to get your ear down to where you are thinking about putting the mic and listen to what your ear picks up based on ear placement.
It might sound obvious but it is amazing how many people forget to try this
Sharyn

Many hammer dulcimers have pickups with 1/4" out or XLR out on them, and these work well. For those that don't, I find a sweet spot 18" to two feet above the instrument with my ear, and put a nice condenser mic there. But I've only had to mic a hammer dulcimer from overhead once or twice, so I don't have a really tried and true method yet, but this has worked for me before. All other times, I've used the pickup that many hammer dulcimers have in them.

It may sound like an easy way out, but most true musicians (notice I said true musicians) know where and how to mic their instrument for the sound that they are wanting to get. You could have what you think is the best way, and come to find out it is not. Many even carry their own microphones. I just did a show for Glen Phillips (you may remember him from Toad the Wet Sprocket if you are over 25 years old) and he brought in a $1000+ mic. It was warm and sweet and really made his voice sound great. (He was really cool and asked if we minded that he used it, very professional and great to work with).

Side note: There are those, however, who think they know what is best, but are WRONG. I had a small time opening act that said they had their own mic's. Not a big deal, I have had lots of people bring their own. When they opened their backpack with the mic's rattling around in the bottom, I realized that they had no idea what they were doing. They had a nice collection of old Peavey's, Nady's, Realistic (and other radio shack mic's), and one shure SM-57. I was happy to see the 57, until I realized that they used it to mic the kick drum and usually just layed it inside the drum.

Try one mic well above as mentioned. If you don't get full coverage, try a conicident pair. If you pick up too much stage noise, move the mics in closer. If it is hot in the center again, try spreading the mics out, but look out for phase cancellation (funky, honky sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back