Wireless Mic Tape

VE5CE

Just wondering what you guys think if the best kind of mic tape to use. We are using Bioclusive, and I find it to suck.

Some folks swear by the 3M surgical tape. Others use moleskin. Since, the 3M tape is clear, you'll need some markers to cover the wire against actor's skin. Moleskin is, to my knowledge, only available in one flesh tone. I've had few (if any) problems with adhesion for both of these.

If you're having adhesion problems I suggest thoroughly cleaning the skin with an Isopropyl alcohol wipe before applying the patch or tape.

Still have to try that. The stuff we get comes in about a 2 X 4 sheet that we cut into strips and it is just so flimsy that we are wasting more than using.

I agree with the 3M Transpore tape. You can order it in bulk from medical suppliers if need be; it'll probably be a lot cheaper than getting it at the drugstore.

Last edited:
I have used the 3M tape before I much prefer it over this Bioclusive. It's just so flimsy and you can't work with it at all.

+1 for 3M Transpore, it's all I use.

Sounds like there are a lot of recommendations for Transpore, and few for anything else. I think that says a lot about the product for this use.

FWIW in addition to the 3M Transpore and the Bioclusive mentioned--some folks will use 3M Tegaderm--its similar to the bioclusive but a little more 'rubbery' and easier to work with IMO.. Some folks also use toupee tape for body mic application--especially if you are running tape behind the ear or using it to hold an headset/earset mic or wire in place....

Toupee tape goes by the names SUPERTAPE Toupee tape, NS Pro, Topstick and PRO-Flex--lots to choose from so experiment with what you find most useful. Its sticky durable stuff so you can use half of what you normally would in most instances. Its invisible, hypoallergenic, waterproof and comes in handy pre-cut strips or rolls which you can snip to any size--and overall its CHEAP compared to bioclusive or tegaderm. Its doublesided--so affix one side to the actor so you have a 'barrier' of tape between the actors skin and the mic wire (great for sweaty folks and for lifting the wire and element off the actor slightly), then apply the mic wire to the top sticky side of the tape, then top that with some Transpore or any other clear medical tape overtop so unused sticky is covered and won't catch hair, clothing or wigs and its done--won't come off even the most sweaty of actors but easily comes off when you want it to. Most do not leave residue or need adhesive removers/cleaners especially since you're not leaving it on but a few hours time... As has been said--always use Isopropyl to clean the area of oils and makeup before you apply any tape for the best stick factor...

-w

at our theatre we use a small square of topstick at the end near the condensor after cleaning the skin with alcohol wipes. Then do a deice of The 3m Tran spore tape over the topstic and mic. (top stick is double sided tape)

provided you start with a good clean oil sweat free base we've never encountered problems with mic' falling off. The Alcohol wipes are probably the most important part along with clean hands putting the mic on the actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back