Micing a grand piano

Am I the only one that mics a piano with a mid-side rig? Either the Schoeps or Neumann variety preferably? Live, but especially recorded on Grands that's my go to for anything more than closed lid.
I've done that, and it can work great. It takes a third channel and a console with polarity switches on the channels. Mics with a bi-polar pattern are a little harder to find.

The other thing to mention here is mono compatibility. If stereo isn't needed, one well chosen, well placed mic might sound better. A pair of widely spaced mics can have phasing issue. A pair does give you more controls over the blend of lows and highs. Mid-side and X-Y provide stereo with good mono compatibility,

Lately, I've been using an Avantone CK-40 stereo mic on a 110 year old Steinway. I think it sounds good in X-Y, placed in the crook. It does mid-side but I haven't tried it on piano. I have had issues with loose screws in the Avantone, so the Chinese build quality isn't perfect, but the price is nice. (Tightening screws holding the top capsule in is major surgery to reach.) Other than the screws, the component quality looks good.

I'm also tempted to try some Warm Audio recreations of vintage, classic mics. They seem to take pains at faithful reproductions and reviewers say they compare well to the real thing. A pair of their WA-84 (Neumann KM84) or WA-14 (early AKG C414) might be great on piano.

I haven't read this setup yet so hoping I'm not insane.
This was my general setup for mixing at a church where the pianist was on stage and musical theatre when they're in the pit.
2 KM 184s, one on a boom above the hammers about an octave above middle c angled toward the bass end of the keyboard, and one under the piano on the the low end of the keyboard with the phase flipped.

There's also always the Elton John setup, 7 421s fanned out facing the hammers and 1 421 on the bass end facing the opposite way with the phase flipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back