Micing actors on stage for video

mbenonis

Wireless Guy
Administrator
Premium Member
What's the best way to mic actors on stage for video without using body mics on the actors themselves? Since the mics will be mixed to tape, so there is no feedback concern to worry about (except for maybe the monitor speakers in the booth). We have lots of SM58's, 2 condenser mics, and 6 lav mics. I would like the mics to be stationary if at all possible so that they don't have to be moved during the show. Thanks!

mbenonis1 said:
What's the best way to mic actors on stage for video without using body mics on the actors themselves? Since the mics will be mixed to tape, so there is no feedback concern to worry about (except for maybe the monitor speakers in the booth). We have lots of SM58's, 2 condenser mics, and 6 lav mics. I would like the mics to be stationary if at all possible so that they don't have to be moved during the show. Thanks!

Hiya,
Well...I would get a feed from the house console for the lavs to mix it in, and then use shotguns for the rest of the stage. A couple of 58's will work if you can hang them over the stage too...

-wolf

wolf825 said:
Hiya,
Well...I would get a feed from the house console for the lavs to mix it in, and then use shotguns for the rest of the stage. A couple of 58's will work if you can hang them over the stage too...

-wolf

I'm not sure I follow on the part above. Do you mean, feed the lavs into the house console and take the mix to a camera (which is what I basically do now)? Or something else? Also, where would you suggest placing the lavs?

About the shotguns and SM58's...I'm hesitant to use them hung above the stage, because it sounds kinda echoey. Is there any better place to hang them, perhaps from the catwalk (which would pick up some of the outwards projection)? WOuld a stage-level stand work (on the ground to avoid stage vibration)?

Btw, <sorta_dumb_question>What kind of mic is an SM58 considered?</sorta-dumb_question> :)

The Shure SM58 is primarily a handheld vocal mic. A cardioid pickup pattern helps reduce feedback. It's got a decent sound, with a little presence boost up-close, is difficult (though not impossible) to "pop", and is extremely rugged. I've got eight in my collection, the youngest of which is about nine years old. They've been dropped, kicked, stepped-on, had beer, Coke and water spilled on them and all still sound good. None still has the original windscreen - it's replaceable and, when they get too mangled, I replace them.

Though it was designed primarily as an up-close handheld it does a respectable job at a distance.

John

mbenonis1 said:
wolf825 said:
Hiya,

-wolf

I'm not sure I follow on the part above. Do you mean, feed the lavs into the house console and take the mix to a camera (which is what I basically do now)? Or something else? Also, where would you suggest placing the lavs?

About the shotguns and SM58's...I'm hesitant to use them hung above the stage, because it sounds kinda echoey. Is there any better place to hang them, perhaps from the catwalk (which would pick up some of the outwards projection)? WOuld a stage-level stand work (on the ground to avoid stage vibration)?

Btw, <sorta_dumb_question>What kind of mic is an SM58 considered?</sorta-dumb_question> :)

Hiya,
DMXtools answered about the SM58--its an overall good mic. The mix from the house to the tape is exactly what I mean. Mix everything and send it to the camera...have your mixer person listen to the feed in headphones for balance and levels, and mute lavs as they exit etc. The lav mic's should go on your principle actors first. Should get some good levels and pick ups for everything. For mounting the 58's instead of hanging on a stand as you describe--sure you can do that and it should work fine...but I would venture to say that hanging the mic's (probably 2) over the stage (about 10-12feet off the deck) would get you more of whats on stage and less of the room echo should the actor turn away from the stage or where the mic is placed. A bit more even of coverage if ya see where I'm going with this. Shotguns for this kind of application are best, if you had them or PCC's you can place them off the front lip of the stage as well, or in the first row on a stand and point them at the stage and get a decent coverage. A pair of SM 58 on stands done the same way will not be as focused for rejecting the room echo as the shotgun will, but it will work and may be just as fine for your needs. I would give it a try--only reason I also suggest hanging is sight lines for your camera--mics on stands in front of the stage can be seen in a wide shot or a pan, where hung mic's can't be seen as easily if your framed up. Of course--you can just position camera's and mic's outside of the shots and work around the mic's on stands...that is another option.

Hope that helps ya... Oh--and no such thing as a dumb question as far as I am concerned...so ask away on anything! :)

-wolf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back