Microphones Microphone connected but no sound

Hi,

I've just borrowed a VHF microphone, and the receiver takes two microphones (channels A and B), both antennas are slightly damaged, channel A more so.

The channel B microphone works perfectly, when the channel A mic is switched on the light on the receivers comes on to indicate the mic is active, but there is no sound output.

Is this likely to be an issue with the antenna or mic? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!

Can you provide us with the model of the VHF system? Typically (but not always) "a" and "b" receivers are actually both used by ONE transmitter to provide diversity receiving (switching between the two physical antennas or recievers).

We need to verify the system is in fact a 2-channel system and not just a diversity system. Pictures are even better.

Can you provide us with the model of the VHF system? Typically (but not always) "a" and "b" receivers are actually both used by ONE transmitter to provide diversity receiving (switching between the two physical antennas or recievers).

We need to verify the system is in fact a 2-channel system and not just a diversity system. Pictures are even better.

As you can see there is some damage to the left antenna, I've attempted to repair this by surrounding the snapped section in aluminium foil. It must work in some sense as the mic's activeness is still detected.

QTX-Sound .... QTX-VH2
https://all-guides.com/manual/714310/qtx-vh1-microphone-5.html?page=1

It appears to be two separate receivers that internally mix to a single output. not a diversity system. The manual seems to cover a number of product variations so my interpretation may be wrong.

For myself I would term this as a disposable system as fixing it would likely cost you more than replacement.
I might try to confirm or repair the connection to the A antenna.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
QTX-Sound .... QTX-VH2
https://all-guides.com/manual/714310/qtx-vh1-microphone-5.html?page=1

It appears to be two separate receivers that internally mix to a single output. not a diversity system. The manual seems to cover a number of product variations so my interpretation may be wrong.

For myself I would term this as a disposable system as fixing it would likely cost you more than replacement.
I might try to confirm or repair the connection to the A antenna.

Good luck with it!
Hi thanks for your reply. I appreciate a replacement would be much easier and possibly cheaper, however, I need the receiver for Thursday so I'm looking for a quick fix.

I had a google and people seem to say a temporary fix can be made by wrapping the damaged area of the antenna in aluminium foil, does this sound reasonable?

Hi thanks for your reply. I appreciate a replacement would be much easier and possibly cheaper, however, I need the receiver for Thursday so I'm looking for a quick fix.

I had a google and people seem to say a temporary fix can be made by wrapping the damaged area of the antenna in aluminium foil, does this sound reasonable?

Try it and see.. er, hear.

if the transmitter is within a few feet of the receiver you should have Mic A even without an antenna. If the mic has a mute switch it may be stuck or broken in the muted position or the transmitter may be defective, too.

Ah.. If you are getting a RF indicator on the receiver then the antenna is not the problem. Chances are it is a problem with the mic itself.
Generic things I would check: Does the windscreen/mic element unscrew? If it does, someone may have snapped a wire leading to the element.
Any other things that open should also be checked for snapped wires. Since the RF transmitter is working, chances are the problem lies between the mic element and the circuit board in the microphone.
Of course, this is a very inexpensive unit, so it may have just kicked the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back