Microphone ID

jakebozz

IMG_7305.jpg
IMG_7327.jpg
Hi. Can anyone identify this microphone (see pics) made prominent in the early 70's on the TV show, "The Partridge Family?" It appears to use an Amphenol connector and has an iconic look, but I can't seem to find any information about it. Thanks.

ISTR in the credits "Microphones by Ovation." Other than that, I've never heard of Ovation.

Thanks, Derek, for the Ovation info. The plot thickens... Thanks, Dave, for the URL on that article. The gist of the article: "Ovation started a campaign before I came to Ovation in 1971 to get its products, especially the roundback on t.v. and in the movies as props, etc. as much as possible. They eventually made a pact with I believe, Paramount(?), to supply the Partridge Family Show with Ovation guitars, amps, pa's, microphones, and other musical instruments (supplied by the then Kaman owned West Coast Musical Merchandise Distributors)" Unfortunately, Karman has been out of business since 2008, and I'm getting no "hits" on WCMMC. :-( (But I'm not giving up...)

A new "Microphone ID" question: I recently found an old microphone at a yard sale, and I'm trying to identify it. The first picture is a stock photo found in a "30's microphone" search (but there were many similar but different results as well). The 2nd picture is of the actual unit I found. I'm trying to identify the make/model of the mic. Anyone history buff recognize it?

30's mic.jpeg
30's mic element.jpg

It's a carbon microphone from roughly the early 1930s. It's a Universal model 10. The Universals had a distinct look apart from the Shure, Elecro-Voice , and Western Electric mics of the period, most notably the square grill openings.

View attachment 22018

https://reverb.com/item/31332339-vi...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Too bad yours isn't more complete.
Thanks! I knew someone would identify it. I actually do have the complete unit including the ring, base and stand. Of course, they all need to be cleaned up and I have to find or create replacement springs

Of course, they all need to be cleaned up and I have to find or create replacement springs

In case you need some inspiration, here's "Making Springs at Home", according to This Old Tony:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back