Microphones Microphone in the rain?

Hello,

Some of you may have seen my other thread on 'Rain on stage,' and I have come across another major barrier I had forgotten about.

During the song 'singing in the rain' I am planning on having a live singer in the middle of it all. The only problem though, is that it will be raining on stage, this meaning that the microphone would get wet.

How on earth am I supposed to cross this bridge?

seems like you have two options, get a water rated mic, or don't mic the person make them project....

or you could always do concealed boundary mics...

Hello,

Some of you may have seen my other thread on 'Rain on stage,' and I have come across another major barrier I had forgotten about.

During the song 'singing in the rain' I am planning on having a live singer in the middle of it all. The only problem though, is that it will be raining on stage, this meaning that the microphone would get wet.

How on earth am I supposed to cross this bridge?

[deleted for idiocy] What mic are you using?

Stick the transmitter upside down in a condom, make sure there's a loop in the cord so the water drips down and not into the connector, and you're good to go as far as the electronics go. The mic element itself could be a different issue, depending on what you have.

Default answer: play it safe and take the mic off. Or if you can't completely remove it, even just rigging a way for the element to be covered during the rain sequence would be good.

Last edited:
I know the Countryman B3 is waterproof because I've used it; I imagine a lot of other lavs are as well.

It is NOT waterproof, it is water resistant for perspiration and able to stand a little bit of water for a very short time.

MOST LAVS Are NOT waterproof. just to clarify, no one needs a broken lav. please check the specs before you presume.

It is NOT waterproof, it is water resistant for perspiration and able to stand a little bit of water for a very short time.

MOST LAVS Are NOT waterproof. just to clarify, no one needs a broken lav. please check the specs before you presume.

I'm sorry, that was a very misleading use of terms. It is 'waterproof' (read: water resistant, as DuckJordan said) as far as perspiration or being rained on goes, it is not waterproof for submerging. I've been told that the B6 is completely waterproof, enough that it can be used as a drink stirrer, but I don't know how true this is.

On the other hand, I've had other mics crap out from just a little bit of sweat. I never like putting electronics and water together if I have to.

Come to think of it...what was I smoking when I posted that last reply?

Re: Re: Microphone in the rain?

I'm sorry, that was a very misleading use of terms. It is 'waterproof' (read: water resistant, as DuckJordan said) as far as perspiration or being rained on goes, it is not waterproof for submerging. I've been told that the B6 is completely waterproof, enough that it can be used as a drink stirrer, but I don't know how true this is.

On the other hand, I've had other mics crap out from just a little bit of sweat. I never like putting electronics and water together if I have to.

Come to think of it...what was I smoking when I posted that last reply?

Your right on. I remember seeing many live demos of that mic soaking in a coke can and still working.

sent from my HTC Incredible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back