Microsoft Access Maintence Schedule

Hello All
I've resigned to the fact that the only program our organization is interested in dealing with for my particular project is Access. I'd like to create a program that pops up with not only reminders about which tasks are due (check arc sources in spotlights, projectors, etc) but with all of the product datasheets and ordering information for consumables when appropriate. It would also store all information on lighting instruments, safety equipment, etc, preferably with information on dealers they were purchased from, etc. I've started trying to adapt a stock template (I think it's an ice cream store inventory?) as it seemed to be the closest thing to what I was looking for, but was wondering if anyone had any insight on another template that might work or another direction I ought to be looking?

I do a lot of Access development and feel it is unlikely that if you are trying to start from a stock template you'll be able to achieve what you are needing.

Are you familiar with database rules (Codd)? What sort of volumes of data are you thinking of?

My suspicion is you may end up building a monster that's going to work against you rather than for you if you aren't a very competent VBA programmer and DB Designer.

Have you had a look at open source solutions (eg Sourceforge) as it seems unlikely your requirements are unique?

I use Web2Project for stuff like this. It can give you a list of things that you need to do, and can also email you. At my theatre we use it to coordinate the production process and schedule the different rooms. You can also link to files and information as needed.

I am interested in what you come up with. I vaguely remember how to use Access and I am wanting to do a similar thing.

Have you had a look at open source solutions (eg Sourceforge) as it seems unlikely your requirements are unique?

In retrospect I most likely should have asked if there simply was a better free solution than Access, as I've been directed towards filmmaker, but can't purchase it. It seems like there would indeed be a few options already floating around.

I'll certainly poke around Web2Project and sourceforge, thanks so much for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back