Midas DL153 - Dual AES50 Ports

mellinger

Hi,

Sorry. I more question for all of you.

We currently have 3 Midas DL153 going into our Midas Pro2 which is taking up the 6 AES50 ports on the back of the board. This is because each DL153 uses two AES50 ports for redundancy.

However, I'm hoping to get a Klark Teknik DN9630 to do multi track recording and virtual soundchecks. However, this device requires an AES50 port.

So my question is.....if the DL153 use 2 ports of AES 50 and one of those ports is for redundancy, can I free up one AES port by only using 1 AES 50 cable between one of my DL153's and the board instead of the 2? I know this isn't ideal and if there is redundancy I should use it, however, we could really use the extra AES50 ports when starting to record. Just really want to make sure the DL153s would still work fine not using the second AES 50 as redundancy.

Thanks and hope this makes sense.

I have never worked with a Pro2, but I don't think dual AES50 connections to each device are for redundancy. It is for channel capacity. One AES50 connection is capable of 48 channels per direction at 48 kHz, or 24 channels per direction at 96 kHz, so my guess is the math determines whether dual cables are required, or not. Run the system at 48 kHz, and you may not need dual connections. This should be spelled out in the manual.

Thanks for your reply! A lot of what you said makes sense, however, the DL153 stage box has 16 inputs and 8 outputs for a total of 24. Also, when I read descriptions of the DL153, it says that it has 2 aes50 ports for redundancy.

So, I guess I was just wanting to make sure nothing bad would happen if I unplug one of those since it's a redundant connection. I know it's not ideal, as redundancy is good in case something fails, however, could really use that extra AES50 port if it's freed up.

Thanks for your reply! A lot of what you said makes sense, however, the DL153 stage box has 16 inputs and 8 outputs for a total of 24. Also, when I read descriptions of the DL153, it says that it has 2 aes50 ports for redundancy.

So, I guess I was just wanting to make sure nothing bad would happen if I unplug one of those since it's a redundant connection. I know it's not ideal, as redundancy is good in case something fails, however, could really use that extra AES50 port if it's freed up.
Did you RTFM - Read The "Fine" Manual? Start there. Seriously. There will be things Midas inexplicably left out (like enabling the headphones), but almost everything you need to know is there.

Yes, you can run with only one connection. Just make sure the cables you are using are very high quality, in ethercons, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back