MIDI control

Hey all,
I have a question about MIDI control. I am trying to control my lighting cues through Cuelab using a MIDI. The lighting board I am using is an ETC Ion. I have a mio usb to MIDI cable. The MIDI runs from the board to a USB to cat connecter then runs to a Mac where the cat is transfer to USB. I have seen is done before and I believe I am just missing something in the settings. Thanks in advance for your help.

I know this isn't a direct solution for your problem, but since you're using an ION and QLab at (presumably) a considerable distance, you might want to consider trying out OSC. OSC is a network-based protocol, so you just need to make sure your QLab computer is connected to your lighting network (or directly to the ION, if you don't have a lighting network). There's a great thread on the ETC forums explaining how to set up control, and if you have any issues, feel free to PM me, as I've used this particular control scheme before. Good luck!

You need to make sure that you have MSC receive enabled on your Ion. You also need to make sure that your Ion is set to listen to the MIDI channel that QLab is speaking on. These settings are all found in Setup>Show Control on your Ion.

You should also check what MSC commands you are sending from QLab. Make sure you are sending a command that the Ion understands.

I would second OSC -- fewer parts if you can directly connect your Ion to the QLab machine. If you have to put in a switch for networking, then it gets iffy (but if this is the venue I'm thinking of, then everything is networked properly to use OSC as it stands).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back