Midi & Express 48/96

Smatticus

Thank you everyone for severely increasing my knowledge of moving lights and how they work with the ETC system I'm using. I'm now moving on to the second part of our Express 48/96 console that I have very little knowledge of. I understand that you can program the console to respond to Midi but what I don't understand is how exactly that would work and what other hardware I would need to connect to the board, could I use a computer or a keyboard to send the timing information to the board? Please help! If I actually can understand how this works this is something I can really go and try on our console. Thanks! :)

I have controlled a desk remotly using the Midi Interface.

Im not sure about your desk, but in the back of the instruction manual it lists all the midi codes. So i downloaded a midi interface for my computer that allowed me to play the notes.

I then made a stack on my desk and then played the note on my laptop to trigger the cue... The lighting desk was actually on stage during the show, We were going to use a riggers remote but couldnt get hold of one.

Alternatively besides using a PC you can use a synthersizer which is an electronic keyboard that interfaces with your computer. and go direct from the keyboard to the desk.

Right now I don't think I understand Midi enough to understand how all the codes work and everything. In the back of our manual it does list them and what they do and I kind of understand the codes for playing notes and which note should be played but I don't know anything about program start and stop codes and things like that?? At home I have a Yamaha P80 keyboard that is connected to my computer with a USB to Midi adapter, this allows me to play Midi files through the keyboard or play music into the computer... from what you've said I guess you can control the board remotedly with a keyboard or computer? But what about using Midi time code to actually set it up so it does everything with the Midi timing information during a song or something like that? Please help! :?:

Smatticus said:
Right now I don't think I understand Midi enough to understand how all the codes work and everything. In the back of our manual it does list them and what they do and I kind of understand the codes for playing notes and which note should be played but I don't know anything about program start and stop codes and things like that?? At home I have a Yamaha P80 keyboard that is connected to my computer with a USB to Midi adapter, this allows me to play Midi files through the keyboard or play music into the computer... from what you've said I guess you can control the board remotedly with a keyboard or computer? But what about using Midi time code to actually set it up so it does everything with the Midi timing information during a song or something like that? Please help! :?:

Essentially what you would be doing is plugging the midi interface in the light board into the midi 'out' port on your computer. Then, you get some software that will play notes on the midi out port. The notes should correspond to codes written somewhere in the manual of your light board, and from there on in you may have to just experiment.

I'm guessing it is just going to be something I have to play with if I get my hands on a laptop or a desktop I can put with the board. Thanks for the info, if anyone else has any information that would be helpful!

To save typing click on MIDI and it will go to the WIKI. As far as what it does, you can record cues for a show or song and then fire it from a keyboard or computor. Many times bands do this so they can play and fire cues from onstage.

A common setup is to have a computer running show control software (like QLab). You build a cue stack in this computer that controls, a light console, plays back sound cues, video, etc. It could even control motors, curtains, whatever. Basically you build one master cue list for everything. The language through which this system talks to your light console and other devices is midi.

Unless you're making a theme park show that runs off tracked music and you're trying to eliminate as many crew members as possible, or you have complex, carefully timed interaction between various automated systems, there probably isn't much benefit to this. It adds a big layer of technological complexity and programming/debug time. Stage manager calling cues and board operator hitting a go button is still the best system in most theatrical cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back