MIDI Heads-Up Display app for Mac

AlexDavila

Hi ya'll.

I'm looking for an app that I can leave open on a mac that acts as a heads-up display for an old Yamaha 01v that I'm operating remotely. I'd like to set it up so as the 01v changes scenes, it outputs a corresponding Program Change message that triggers some lightweight app on my local mac that displays a corresponding image or text indicating that scene. Unfortunately this isn't an 01v96 so I won't be able to use the editor. I was thinking maybe QLab, but my understanding is any video/picture cue blacks out the whole screen and the mac I'm using is running other things I need to be able to see concurrently.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It's been a minute since I've used an 01V, does it have the ability to output discrete Program Change per scene that isn't the same Program Change that triggered the scene? I know the Yamaha desks can echo, but I'm not sure they actually output a command after receiving an input.

In any event, the quickest way I'd tackle this would be to just make a PowerPoint slide deck where every slide is whatever scene you're parked in. I'd then make a secondary QLab Cue list of Applescript Cues that point to specific Powerpoint Slides, with the trigger on the QLab cue being the 01V's Program Change response after being triggered.

If you're already running QLab and don't want to take up more screen real estate, the secondary thought I have would be to drop Memo Cues in your main cue list that simply state the active cue number. I'd then make a secondary cue list of Groups with nested arm/disarm cues in them - when your console changes scenes that program change is the trigger for the arm/disarm and it arms the current cue, disarms the prior cue and that gives you a visual indicator of what cue you're sitting in.

From what I've read in the manual, it appears it should transmit a new program change message when it changes scene, regardless of what triggered that scene change. I've exploited that in the past on other Yamaha consoles as a way of triggering QLab cues by taking dummy scene changes on the console, I just need to test this theory with the 01v.

I like the the arming/disarming of memo cues idea... I just need whatever is displayed to not be full-screen or taking over the display, I've got other things running on it that I need to keep an eye on at the same time. There are approximately 30 scenes it'll be running thru in a given show.

On the QLab's side:
why not use Figure53's own "QDisplay" app to get a note to you?
Or you could use Syphon's "Simple Client" app, if you need more than a note?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back