MIDI Interface Questions

RJuren

Migh old high school has an EDI Omegs 2 Lighting console, and they are interested in how the MIDI interface works. Unfortunately, no one has ever played around with this, nor does anyone have any clue where to start.

DOes anyone have insight on what equipment, and software for a PC they would need?

They have a zero budget for this project, but one of the ASMs is very talented with computer programming, so he could write codes to make the board respond, but even he has no clue where to start.

Help, please!

Hi!

there is a thread about midi interface with lighting desks somewhere else around here...

but basically, you need a synthsizer which is like an electronic keyboard that you can plug into your computer. the synth needs midi!!!
then all you have to do is plug the keyboard into the midi port on the back of your console and tell the console that there is midi support. not too sure with your desk but if its digital it wil be in the set up menu, otherwise an analogue desk will just know if there is no switch to set it on or off.
then all you have to do is fnd out which key on the keyboard triggers the go function and your set. its basically another means of controlling the desk, maybe remotly or to make lights trigger on a certain note when you have a band playing.

in the back of your manual, it shoul dhave a list of the midi codes and the musical note that goes with it, and if you know your FACE you should be able to figure where it is on the keyboard and ur right...

generally, i think C Major (middle C on the keyboard) is the go function!

My school uses a Strand MX from like 1990... anyway, I'm in the same situation. Supposidly the school even got a tech in and he couldn't figure it out but I talked to Strand thihs year, they didn't have any MX's on hand and I wasn't going to lug the schools board to them. Anyway, I agree with DJ Illusions, there is probably something about it in the manual. My manual has all the codes listed, I just can't figure out how to use them. I've looked at various software packages for lighting, couldn't figure any of them out. Near as I can tell, the best option would be to use a computer based MIDI synth to lay out notes as cues. Your manual should tell you which MIDI code does what, if you can figure it out you can probably set it up. Then you connect to the board, and play your "song".
Not really the easiest thing in the world, wasn't worth the effort for me to figure out but I wish you better luck!

yeah your right, its for some people and not for others.... but not for very many mind you!

i did a show last year where i remote triggerd the cues via midi, thats how i know so much about it... but yes your quite right all the stuff in the manual can be very cryptic, especially the strand manuals :|

few *wipes forid* glad its not just me that thinks that.

in all seriousness, i love the strand desks but i think one of the main things that lets them down is actually the manual. it is extremly poorly written. if you look at a jands manual for example it tells you how to do stuff in steps and on the opposite page it has keystrock diagrams.... but the strands is just bleh... a page fulla text lol

even the "simplified" instruction maual sucks!

It's true. I even looked on their website for any updates. All they have is a pdf of the original manual, scaned so it's barely legible and their email addresses don't work. My Dad knows the president of Strand Canada, but they don't seem to know any more about the stupid thing than I do.

stupid question: why would one want to use MIDI? What is the advantage to having things on a keyboard or anything of that nature? I just don't understand why one would bother with it.....

stupid question: why would one want to use MIDI?
MIDI is much more useful for concert work than theatre: it allows a light show to be tightly synchronized with the music. It also greatly expands the capabilities of smaller boards. For example, I'm using a little American DJ DMX Operator. It stores six chases, but can also be controlled via MIDI. By controlling it from my computer with a MIDI sequencer (I use Cakewalk), I now have essentially an infinite number of chases with an unlimited number of steps per chase. I can use a synth or drum machine (or even the computer's sound card) to give the drummer a click track to play to and have the lights perfectly synchronized with the music.

John

I can understand Strand manuals just fine. I happen to have the 1990 MX manual if anyone needs a blurb from it.

Read the Genius or Lightpallette manuals lately.. give em a squizz and get back too us ;)

I have it too... I think it's written fine but I still don't understand them. I'm an example type person, when a manual runs through each function without reallyl giving examples of how everything works together, it doesn't help me.

But out of all fairness I must say I only have experiance with older manuals by Strand, haven't seen anything recent.

download all 400pages of it and 200 odd pages of the "simplified" one and try your hand at it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back