Control/Dimming MIDI lighting control

Sidhion

Hey all, looking for some help with my set up to get better control of lighting.
My set up currently includes Ableton, ADJ Scene Setter 48, and Elation Scene Setter 16, all controlling 6 floods, 5 stationary spots, and 2 lasers. I use control devices to send midi to ableton, such as Launchpad.
I feed my computer into the two lighting boards using a usb to midi cable, from there the boards feed the lights through DMX. Everything there works just fine.

On to what I need...For example, I have red set to their own channels for individual control through 1, 7, 13, 19, 25, 31 on the Setter 48 board. When you slide them up, the red gets more intensity. But in order to do the fade effects I am looking to do, I need to move all 6 sliders at once. However, I don't want all 6 floods on the same rgb channels (the individual control of each is crucial.)

I already have no problem sending MIDI to the boards and controlling the lights individually on the aspect of "On" or "off". In order to control the intensity, one has to control the velocity of the midi note sent. However, once the note is sent, changing the velocity does nothing to the intensity.

So, my question is: How can I set it up to move a slider via my control device and it send the same message to the lighting board? For example: I move slider 1 on my controller and sliders 1, 7, 13, 19, 25, and 31, all respond to the appropriate levels. Is it even possible or is that out of the realm of MIDI control?

I am also willing to learn vst programming to try and control it, but I am having a hell of a time finding a tutorial on midi control alone.

Thank you!

p.s. I have looked into DMXis but I am a) too poor to shell out $250 on something that MIGHT be what I want and b) I am using someone else's boards and they just dropped over $400 on them and I don't want to be "that guy" and go around his recent purchase.

Every lighting console or program does MIDI a bit differently. Some just use "show control" to trigger cues, some can use "notes" to map to control channels.

In lighting terms you are looking for a submaster. That is a group of channels that work from a single fader. I'm not familiar with the boards you mention, but submasters are a pretty basic idea, so should be available on the board. Getting MIDI control of them is a separate issue. Unfortunately, I recommend reading the manual(s).

My interpretation of what is in the manual is that the MIDI just turns the light on yet uses the word intensity. I would see if you could "program" some sort of fade up fade down "scene" and see if that helps.

Good Luck.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back