Control/Dimming MIDI-to-DMX for Keyboard and Drums

DIYLED

Here's something I've been working on. Wondering how much interest there is for something like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Please excuse any quality issues with audio latency (computer synth running on Windows) and my playing (sore hands from working and very tired). The lighting controller works instantly, no perceptible latency. I realize this would only work in small venues because of the difference in speed between sound and light.

I think theres plenty of applications for something like this. For it to be used in lighting shows, it would need to be accompanied by more of a show. -> more dynamic. Say, if you had a loop it would have more of a constant light show instead of one light coming on only when a button is hit. Try linking more lights to the base drum, and the button having 2 steps, each time you hit it it would play light arrangement it would loop through to the steps. Its very cool though. I can see this being used by touring bands, for example, they could have their own simple lighting rig to accompany the house lights.. but maybe you can create some sort of lighting keyboard. they have those huge ones that you can step on and they light up. anyways. Im just entertaining the idea. Its cool.

Thanks Kozak for the feedback. Silence can be difficult to interpret sometimes. I think you really nailed the core issue: the videos lack a wow factor and are really just technical demonstrations. Also it seems there is a general desire for a lot of customization options.

I looked up foot midi controllers...there sure is a lot out there with different designs. I had not seen those before.

RickR, thanks for the quick thought. MIDI-to-DMX in general has been around for awhile, usually to trigger sequences or flash on/off. I wanted to try new (or rare) concepts of fade-offs, color changes on drum hits, and color mixing of keyboard notes. As far as I know, I don't think there is a product with those features, but I could be mistaken.

I am working towards making some better videos. Ran into some technical issues with filming, but these are a step up and a lot more fun to watch:

Here's a much better video:

If the thread dies, I won't bump it again. Just wanted to put up a decent video that's worth watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back