Mini Disc

the older mini disc players had an autopause function... which is the reason that i still have one laying around in my apt.... the newer ones dont have it as far as i know

Our Sony MDS-E10 has that function. It's a really solid MD deck, one rack space and pretty much anything you'd ever want in an MD deck. Heck, you can even plug in a keyboard to control the thing and name tracks!

You won't likely find that feature in any portable unit. They're aimed at a market that has absolutely no need for auto-cue. It's even hard to find it in decks these days. I try to avoid plugging stuff on here, but if you're looking to buy used, I know the shop I work at recently sold a couple, and probably wouldn't be opposed to selling a few more...tons in stock that rarely get used these days, since MD isn't as popular as it used to be. E-mail me and I can put you in touch with the sales guys.

--A

It's not the answer to your question... but it might save you alot of $$.. I always put a 60 track of silence inbetween effects so I have a fail safe... it gives me plenty of time to pause whatever player I am using (Laptop or CD usualy) before the next effect plays. Sometimes the simplest solution is best!

ive been thinking of doing that i also want a mini disc because its easier to take than my laptop and the cd player thats at the theatre i work takes like 30 seconds to spin up and play an effect so ive worked with mini disc before and love it

Depends on Mini disk Player, Sony made a mini disk player that you could set to stop after each track. My Tascam 301MKII Does not do this, Sucks. Other wise you will have to record a longer lead-out at the end of each track.

Single track play and auto-cue are not the same thing. Generally, single track mode plays the track, and then stops, either ready to replay the same track, or back at the beginning of the disc. Auto-cue plays a track, then pauses cued up at the top of the next track. Some players also have an auto-pause mode that goes into pause after the track, but at the beginning of the same track (sort of a cross between auto-cue and single mode), so you need to manually advance it.

--A

Yeah, the auto-cue I have worked with on MD players plays through the silence on the beginning of a track, and pauses right before the sound comes in so you have a crisp cue. Which I guess, as a function of the pausing, could be used as single track playing...

One other possibility not involving minidisc is to look to the dj world. Most of the dj mp3 systems require not much more than a pc and a second sound card. Numark (not my favorite nameplate since the break-up but still not bad) has this new mp3 mixer/player that also might help. http://www.numark.com

And 99% of them will default to only play one track at a time until you tell it different. Most of them also allow features such as looping and saving cue points within tracks, etc.

I still use mine http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=11150 even tho I don't dj any longer, for sound effects, etc.

simchapup said:
ive been thinking of doing that i also want a mini disc because its easier to take than my laptop and the cd player thats at the theatre i work takes like 30 seconds to spin up and play an effect so ive worked with mini disc before and love it

Why not just get a cd player that doesn't suck, it's worth it in the long run.

weve been using a computer patched into the board and just running all audio cues and video cues through adobe premeire. Works great, and lets you have an extra position for some new rookie. But im now looking to put premeire on the sound laptop and just run everything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back