The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Mirror Ball Help

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by adude23, Jun 13, 2008.

1. adude23

adude23 Active Member

Hi there i was wondering if anyone could tell me weather a mains powered mirror ball moter could be plugged into to a dimmer and be controlled via the desk also anyone know where to get cheap mirror balls/motors as i am looking around at the moment
    cheers
    ~adude~

2. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

If you set a profile on the dimmer as non-dim yes you can but its not good for the motor of the mirror ball. Most of us would suggest against it.

Try Spencers/Wal-Mart/Target

3. DaveySimps

DaveySimps CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Performing Arts Center Manager
    I agree 100% with Grog. Most things that need constant power do not like to be on dimmers, even with a "non-dim" profile.

~Dave

4. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    Since I'm a novice in lighting, is it possible to route the power around the dimmer entirely and essentially have a wall outlet that's controlled by the light board? The signal from the machine would just open or close a circuit. Or does the board control power only through the dimmer? does that make any sense or am I way off base?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. tweetersaway

tweetersaway Member

Lighting & Sound Supervisor
    For mirror balls and stobes on stage, we build a really simple 3 switch box that just plugged into the wall and had 3 edison outs, one from each switch. we needed an operator in the wing for it, but it was a simple way to fix a pesky problem. I'm sure if you had the motivation, you could make the cord long enough so you could control it from the booth:grin:

Otherwise, you could always get a dmx controlled switch pack(the kind that dj's use).

6. cutlunch

cutlunch Active Member

No you are making sense. These have a DMX512 decoder in them which turns a relay, controlling the output power, on and off. Chauvet makes some of their 4 chanell dimmers have this non-dim capability built-in eg Chauvet
    Chauvet

Doug Fleenor design makes them eg Doug Fleenor Design - 1 Ch. Line Voltage

Lot's of people make them. Some people just make the boards with no cases so you build them into your own design.

7. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

If you're running ETC Sensors they have a non-dim switch and a constant power module for their racks.

8. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Here's the least expensive DIY option we've found: Velleman K8072.

9. len

len Well-Known Member

Also, American DJ makes a mirror ball motor that has dmx. Best part is that it also had a couple outlets built in so you could run a couple pin spots off it as well. American DJ Homepage

10. David Ashton

David Ashton Active Member

truck driver
    In a emergency just add a dummy load like a 100 watt+ lamp on the same dimmer and just run the dimmer up to full and it will work fine just do not run it at a lower level as synchronous motors don't like chopped waveforms.

11. photoatdv

photoatdv Active Member

I work with those ANNOYING mirror balls a lot. I think I will try the dummy load next time b/c we have lots of trouble with our motor not working well. I have gotten it to work though and it can be done with simply a edison to stagepin (or twistloc) adaptor, but I would not reccomend as it is not good for the motor.