Missing Stage Manager

Is your SM at every build session?

• Total voters
As a High School teacher I ran my tech program with a very clear hierarchy. There were a limited number of students who earned their way into the inner circle!! The size of this group changed from year to year. These people were entrusted with running parts of the crew and mentoring new students into the program. Students worked their way up from just being a lackey (yes we called them that with a smile) to being a full crew member who might be assigned a lackey to a crew chief. The crew chiefs were given keys to the storage areas and access to lots of equipment within the theater. They weren't allowed a key to the theater itself due to district rules but once inside they had access to whatever they might need. This was a position of great trust and respect they earned their keys and never let me down. I worked hard to encourage respect between the various groups. Designing sound isn't as much physical work as building a set but it's just as mentally challenging and time consuming. Part of building respect was that my sound people, light people, and stage manager would attend build days... not to build but to work on their own projects. This way we were all in it together. My best stage manager got hurt every time she touched a tools so we didn't let her work in building. But just being there working on her own notes and conferring with sound, lights, and set people about the show is a huge boost to morale.

One last note, if someone in the cast or crew isn't complaining about you as a stage manager. You probably aren't doing a very good job.

In my school, our crew is exceptionally small so our building crew is our back stage crew and what you do at crew determines your position. This year was probably the first year that we had a so called "crew chief" in a long time. He was supposed to be there all the time and know what's going on, etc. He's also the stage manager. We refer to his position as the 'pity position' since he befriended the TD and originally for the fall play he didn't have the managing position, he threatened to quit. Of course being buddies and all the TD dubbed him the crew chief. The only problem is that he rarely shows up, has no clue what's going on, and usually doesn't to anything in the first place. Now that he's stage manager he has literally no attention span, messes up his cues and normally only uses his position to his advantage. Usually, before rehearsal starts, a friend and I will spend our time backstage organizing the set pieces and props so that they are in some type of logical position for the scene changes. We also have to figure out what goes out when since he's usually socializing with the cast. Most of the crew and cast goes to me for instruction since I'm the only that really knows what's going on besides the director and TD. I'm not sure if this is how it's done in the 'real world' but I'm glad that this is my last year backstage. So I guess we also have a missing stage manager!!;) Sorry for adding this randomly to your thread, but it reminded me so much of our situation. Two weeks to the show!! OMFG.

When we were building sets for our fall musical, it was a come on Saturdays if you want to type thing. We would usually have a few students show up, one or two parents show up, and our TD. I think if you have a job that comes first because you need money before you can do anyhting else. That's how life is. I was the Set Crew Head, at our final dress rehersal I couldn't be there until about half way throught the first act, and they had a fun time moving the sets without my help. Try not to feel bad if you can't be there. Take care of the important things in life before you go to the theater.

I'll agree with what the collegiates have said, and concur also that in the professional spectrum, SM's don't
build. You walk in on a carpentry call in a union shop, you'll get shown the door if you try to pick up a hammer. Carp's build, riggers hang, squints do the lights and squeals do the sound. The SM oversees the blocking, cue-ing, is the communication hub between departments, and eats the cookie when things go wrong. It is a thankless job, and will lead you to an early grave. But no, you shouldn't be building the sets.

On the other hand, there is also a down side to stage managing as well.

Great topic! In answer to your question, no, you shouldn't quit your job... if you did you wouldn't be able to do what you ARE doing now, right!?

As far as SM's going to builds, I agree, it depends on the situation if you are talking about HS or college theatre. I stage managed all the musicals in college, and I was on a theatre scholarship, so I was required to be there during set builds on the weekends. We also had lab classes during the week, and although I was not required to be there, I always showed up when I wasn't in a meeting or in another class. That was the norm for me, and the last year I was glad I had gotten into the habit! We had a set designer who also happened to be the Head Carp. who did NOT communicate well with the director at all. The simple fact that I was around and knew what the director wanted diverted several possible issues. It was nice, in that respect, when the designers and TD had a question, that I was right there to help answer it. I played the middle-man a lot, and it was wearing, but it kept a tense situation from getting worse, so all was well in the end :)

So I guess, if you were to experience communication issues between a director and set designer or head carp, you might want to pop in to check on things. Otherwise, keep at it! Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Have fun!

I'm in Technical Theatre Studies at a college, and having done an ASM practicum and working my way through an SM practicum, I have to say that in professional theatre it is plain and simple not the responsibility of the Stage Manager to participate in Build Sessions. The SM has a lot of other things to do. He is the link between the director, and everyone else. That is a big responsibility.

So, in order for the SM to stay up to date, it is important for them to meet with the Technical Director or Scenic Carpenter everyday, just like they need to stay in close contact with the props department, and the wardrobe department. It's not the SM's responisbility to sew all the costumes. Is it???? I hope not, otherwise I've been doing this all wrong.:(

It surprises me that even in high school, as a stage manager you have time to go to work for scenery or lighting. When I was in high school usually there were rehearsals running at the same time that we were working in the shop or on stage, so the SM's didn't have time to be working with us techs.

Now, working in a professional regional theatre, it is not only the same thing, but it is union regulations. If you want to know what a professional stage manager's responsibilities and limitations are, take a look at the AEA website and rule book, they spell it out quite plainly in language that you need to be a layer to understand.

When I was an SM I was at every build... but than again now Im the Student Technical Director so I guess builds are kinda my thing, I don't usually see SMs at builds though

AS a stage manager I personally don't attend most builds, for 2 reasons firstoff I am at rehearsals do my job there or at home doing notes or forms or at production meetings making sure everyone is on the right page of what needs to be done.
Second off when it comes construction I am slightly useless and for scenic painting compleatly useless. But when it comes to lighting hangs and focuses I am there and ditto for the load in.
Hope it helps
~Nick

I do not think it is the job of the SM to be there at all. That is the job of the TD / Master Carpenter, and carpenters. The SM should interface at regular production meeting, and be available via phone, rehearsal notes, and email in between, but other than that, they are rarely found in the shop.

~Dave

Hi, in my grad project of my theatre diploma programme, we have huge sets and it's not like the SM can attend every building sessions, but still we feel fine (I am the DSM). I think the art here is more about delegating. Say, if the rehearsal and the building session occur at the same time, which one will you attend?

I think you can help by recruiting more volunteers to help them out or if time allows, arrange for shifts so people can get rest...hope it helps.

Say, if the rehearsal and the building session occur at the same time, which one will you attend?
In the real world, the SM is the director's principal assistant and facilitator of the rehearsal process. If you like to pop your head in the scene shop from time to time, great, but you'll have to do that outside of rehearsal time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back