Mix and match stage boxes

Jtpa

Is there any technical reason that, over a Dante network, I could not mix and match different brands of stage boxes and consoles? Can I, say, utilize a Yamaha Tio box with a A&H SQ series mixer? Any downsides to this?

So the great thing about Dante is that any Dante device can pass to another.... However, Yamaha, A&H, etc primarily use proprietary control of things like preamp control. So a generic Dante device will connect to my A&H console, I cannot control the preamp (Gain, phantom, etc) using the in-console controls. Typically there is either special software or a web-based interface to access these controls. Unfortunately, it was not something standardized in the beginning with Dante so everyone handles it a little differently.
You can still typically patch devices just fine in Dante Controller and use the audio without issue.
I really wish preamp control was just built into Dante Controller at least.

I've used the A&H boxes when they first dropped for the SQ, and they only offered in-console control if patched a certain way (not sure if this changed yet, been since pre covid), as well as boxes that you need to use your web browser, navigate to the IP address to access the controls, or the Xilica box that I use regularly that requires me to use their Xilica Design software in the most annoying process possible to adjust the bloody gain (great if it was set and forget, but not in my usage).

Anyways certainly something to look into when getting Dante devices like this.

Edit: FYI A&H also has a piece of software to control this stuff for when you can't use it in console

Is there any technical reason that, over a Dante network, I could not mix and match different brands of stage boxes and consoles? Can I, say, utilize a Yamaha Tio box with a A&H SQ series mixer? Any downsides to this?
Yes. You won't be able to control off-brand "stage boxes" directly from your console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back