Mixers/Consoles Mixer like PM5D ideas???

curt410

Hello,

I need a audio mixer that is good for theatre use. It needs at least 35 XLR inputs with recordable scenes and a fair amount of AUX sends.
I was going to get a PM5D but to be honest I cant find anyone that sells it.
If you find somewhere that sells a PM5D on-line or in ontario canada area that would be great. If not does anyone know of a mixer like the PM5D that is a bit more common in stores or on-line?

Thanks

Curt

We get most of our Yamaha consoles from Sound Productions in Texas; they seem to have the best pricing. Not exactly local to you but I would think they would ship to Canada.

Have you used the 5D? I would get demos of some other options as well. The PM5D is a good console but it's getting a little dated. The VI series is a great sounding console and there are also other offerings from Digico and Digidesigns in the same price range. Most of those use digital snakes, so that could be a benefit for you. Are you trying to meet riders? What is the intended purpose? 35 preamps and "a fair amount of aux sends" isn't much of a qualification you are trying to achieve. If you go with the 5D I would definitely recommend the RH version.

Vendors don't usually just have PM5D's sitting stocked in their warehouses, nor is that the kind of thing that almost anyone ever buys via a website.

Find a local sound company or a dealer, and they can probably setup a demo for you for a number of consoles that fit your specs and they'll give much better pricing than you'll get from the list prices any website might show. Any vendor for sound equipment that deals in Yamaha consoles like the LS9 and M7CL should be able to get their hands on a PM5D. Even those that don't appear from their website to sell sound consoles may be able to sell you one (or at least show you theirs or tell you who they would go to if they wanted to buy one).

Have you used a PM5D before? If you haven't, I wouldn't drop a dime until you've personally gotten your hands on one for a demo -- that's a lot of money to spend and you wouldn't want to buy anything without first playing with one in person as well as some of the comparable consoles on the market.

Coincidentally, I was out console shopping myself. We looked at the following consoles:

+ Yamaha M7CL-ES
+ Digico SD9
+ Allen & Heath iLive
+ Digidesign SC48

My personal favorite was the SD9. Digico isn't currently as top-of-the-line as Digidesign, but they're giving Digidesign a run for their money. The preamps in the Digico desks also sound better than in the Digidesign. That said, the SD9 costs a pretty penny at roughly $50k. I spoke to two different vendors yesterday that said they think Digico will be passing up Digidesign by the end of 2012 -- definitely take a look at what they have to offer.

The next runner up was the Digidesign SC48, which I believe lists around $28k but our vendor said he could sell it to us for $21k, which is just $1k more than the M7CL.

I'm leaving out the iLive because I didn't care for it at all. I was turned off by its user interface.

Currently we have two M7CL's, a half-dozen expansion cards, and a 56-channel hard-split snake being quoted, but the SC48 is very tempting. What we like most about the SC48 is the addition of Protools, the better sounding preamps than the M7, and the ability to record up to an 18-channel mix into Protools, then play it back later onto the console (which is great for recording a mix one night and then using the playback however many months later to teach students how to mix a show without worrying that they'll mess up in front of an audience).

Still -- my favorite was the SD9, but since we're shopping for probably two consoles, it's a much harder sell for something that's marginally better than the SC48. I much preferred the user interface of the SD9 though -- I felt like I could learn that console from scratch during a sound check and not stumble trying to find anything. The facepanel of the SC48 wasn't my favorite -- it's much easier to get lost in it than the SD9, but after getting lost a couple times I think I could also pick that console up during a sound check. Then there's the M7, which any sound guy that's touched a digital mixer before shouldn't have any problems operating.

Some basic questions for you:

1) What's the application? Venue? Tour? (If a venue, how big and what kind of shows? If touring, how big of tours?)

2) Who will be using the console?

3) What's the average show that you would run on it?

4) What are the two most complex shows you would run on it in a year? (I say two each year because buying a console so that once every decade you can fulfill a single rider's needs is silly)

Last edited:
I would look at either the m7cl or the sc48. I have used both, they are both amazing consoles for the price, and I reccomend them highly.

No offense, but the OP is looking for something in the $40,000 range. The PM5D is a higher quality console than the M7 in most respects. Let's keep the recommendations in perspective to what the OP is looking for.

No offense, but the OP is looking for something in the $40,000 range. The PM5D is a higher quality console than the M7 in most respects. Let's keep the recommendations in perspective to what the OP is looking for.
I think that is indeed a critical point as although 'street' price will be lower, MSRP on a PM5D starts at around $50k and can easily go to over $75k. However, I also don't see anything in the OP that actually indicates that a PM5D is needed, which along with their not knowing where to find it and looking for it online suggests there may be some disconnect in regards to what is actually wanted or appropriate.

Any discussion or mixer selection or alternatives should start with establishing more about what is really wanted or needed. Do you need or want any inputs beyond the 35 XLR inputs? Do all 35 XLR inputs need to be capable of accepting microphone or line level signals? How many aux sends is "a fair amount" and do you need any other sends or outputs? Do you need support for LCR mixing, 5.1 surround sound mixing or anything like that? Are you looking for an analog mixer replacement with all the I/O at the console or a mixer that supports some form of centralized processing and/or a digital snake? Are there any budgetary, physical size or other practical constraints or goals? Do you deal with tech riders and is that a factor? What are the typical users and uses? Do you have any experience with mixers similar to that being considered and is that why you specifically asked about the PM5D?

Have you had a chance to try some of the other consoles noted? Interestingly, my experience is almost the opposite of Mike's, I initially found the DigiCo SD interface less intuitive at first and the iLive's interface much more intuitive. That just shows that personal preferences and past experience can have a significant impact on such factors. It is also not that unusual for a console interface that is initially less intuitive and seems more awkward to use at first to become a favorite after some use.

Maybe you already went through this exercise and decided the PM5D was the right choice for you or maybe you have had it dictated to you by artists or management. But since you seem to be looking for alternatives and online retailers then it may also turn out that there are considerably less expensive options that might also work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back