Mobile sound wireless setup 7 performers.

When you use Shure's Frequency Finder, the "Max" number refers to how many channels are of wireless you can squeeze into that band in the open RF spectrum in your area. That means all of your local DTV broadcasts are already accounted for. So the band that has the most flexibility for you is G50, because under ideal conditions, there are 36 slots available you can tune to. Even if you don't need that many, you have some room to spare if other users next door to you show up in that band as well.

Reserved channels, a couple in at least each metropolitan market 6-8MHz-wide, are exclusively set aside for wireless microphone/IEM users. What does that mean to you? It means you won't be competing with TV broadcasters or white space devices, but you'll still have to duke it out with neighboring wireless mic/IEM users in your immediate vicinity.

As 600 MHz gets redistributed, it's just as likely everyone else in your area will go after the G50 band as well though, so remember what you consider prime real estate, they will too. The DTV assignments are also all getting repackaged soon. So today if G50 looks wide open, in a couple years it may have 6 more DTV broadcasters move into that band that you have to stay away from. Likewise, all of the reserved channels are getting moved around and some may go away over the next 2-3 years.

There's also an argument to be made for diversifying your wireless bands by putting half in one band and half in another. That way if another user shows up in your neighborhood, they won't hamstring your 14-channel system down to an 8-channel system in a Mexican standoff until one of you replaces your wireless systems.

Seems like I should buy you a drink (virtually of course) - thank you for all the help!

So... let me see if I have the nail in the coffin on this topic. So in the area I'm going to be in, for June... I have these options:

Band: H50 (Mics: 14 Reserved | 14 Max) - 530—602 MHz, TV Channels 24-35. Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-34. So I really only would have the equiv of channel 24 or channel 26. (24; 530.0–536.0 MHz) (26; 542.0–548.0 MHz) And looking at the "14 reserved frequencies they are between 543.270 up to 547.870 - so they are within the channel 26 range. So effectively anyone using this range, will be fighting for 1 of 2 possible 6Mhz blocks? if I'm doing this correctly... then obviously I DONT want H50! haha...

Band: G50 (Mics: 6 Reserved | 36 Max) - 470—536 MHz, TV Channels 14-24. Local TV stations are currently using 16-21. So in this option I have equiv of channel 14, 15, 22-24. Seems like I have 5 blocks of 6Mhz here, with channel 24 showing as reserved.

Band: V50 (Mics: 14 Max) - 174—216 MHz, TV Channels 7-13. Local TV stations are currently using 7-10,12-13. So I'd have 1 option - channel 11. (198.0–204.0 MHz)

Band: X52 (Mics: 12 Max) - 902.45 - 927.55 Mhz - uhhh isn't this the CB band? although I suppose most people don't use CB anymore.

Anyway - I'm I doing this analysis correctly? If yes... I think I'm either going to be doing G50 or trying X52.

Seems like I should buy you a drink (virtually of course) - thank you for all the help!

So... let me see if I have the nail in the coffin on this topic. So in the area I'm going to be in, for June... I have these options:

Band: H50 (Mics: 14 Reserved | 14 Max) - 530—602 MHz, TV Channels 24-35. Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-34. So I really only would have the equiv of channel 24 or channel 26. (24; 530.0–536.0 MHz) (26; 542.0–548.0 MHz) And looking at the "14 reserved frequencies they are between 543.270 up to 547.870 - so they are within the channel 26 range. So effectively anyone using this range, will be fighting for 1 of 2 possible 6Mhz blocks? if I'm doing this correctly... then obviously I DONT want H50! haha...

Band: G50 (Mics: 6 Reserved | 36 Max) - 470—536 MHz, TV Channels 14-24. Local TV stations are currently using 16-21. So in this option I have equiv of channel 14, 15, 22-24. Seems like I have 5 blocks of 6Mhz here, with channel 24 showing as reserved.

Band: V50 (Mics: 14 Max) - 174—216 MHz, TV Channels 7-13. Local TV stations are currently using 7-10,12-13. So I'd have 1 option - channel 11. (198.0–204.0 MHz)

Band: X52 (Mics: 12 Max) - 902.45 - 927.55 Mhz - uhhh isn't this the CB band? although I suppose most people don't use CB anymore.

Anyway - I'm I doing this analysis correctly? If yes... I think I'm either going to be doing G50 or trying X52.

Looks like after the repacking for the SF Bay Area, you will have open channels 23,24,25,26,33 and 35

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like after the repacking for the SF Bay Area, you will have open channels 23,24,25,26,33 and 35

Hello Don... unfortunately... I don't even know what your comment means. SORRY!

Taken at face value you are saying channel 25 (KOVR, 68 miles), 33 (KMTP-TV, 42 miles), 35 (KCRA-TV, 70 miles) are all loosing their frequencies? If yes... that means 3 new 6Mhz sections will be open in H50. And there was an error in my above analysis - as I originally said "Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-34" but I should have said - "Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-35"... I originally concluded I'd only have H50 channel 24,26 - but I'd really have channels 24,25,26,33,35 in the future whenever - whomever forces these TV stations to move?

As for G50 - channel 23 is already not used in San Jose, and channel 24 is already shown as unused and reserved so... it seems like nothing changes.

Anyway... I think what you are saying is... Now G50 has 5 open 6Mhz blocks... and sometime in the future when whoever forces existing channels to move I'll also have 5 - open 6Mhz blocks in the H50 frequencies.

SO ... for now my best option is still G50.

-Michael

Last edited:
Hello Don... unfortunately... I don't even know what your comment means. SORRY!

Taken at face value you are saying channel 25 (KOVR, 68 miles), 33 (KMTP-TV, 42 miles), 35 (KCRA-TV, 70 miles) are all loosing their frequencies? If yes... that means 3 new 6Mhz sections will be open in H50. And there was an error in my above analysis - as I originally said "Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-34" but I should have said - "Local TV stations are currently using 25,27-35"... I originally concluded I'd only have H50 channel 24,26 - but I'd really have channels 24,25,26,33,35 in the future whenever - whomever forces these TV stations to move?

As for G50 - channel 23 is already not used in San Jose, and channel 24 is already shown as unused and reserved so... it seems like nothing changes.

Anyway... I think what you are saying is... Now G50 has 5 open 6Mhz blocks... and sometime in the future when whoever forces existing channels to move I'll also have 5 - open 6Mhz blocks in the H50 frequencies.

SO ... for now my best option is still G50.

-Michael

They are being re-assigned.

What I am saying is that after the FCC repacks the OTA-TV channels for your area, these channels will (should be) open in your area. So you should plan your system so that your systems will be able to tune in this space. You are a lot luckier than most. Where I am in the LA area nothing is open.

The data is here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A2.pdf
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A1.pdf
http://data.fcc.gov/download/incentive-auctions/Transition_Files/

That is a curious package. Probably strategically assembled to have better price than performance.

Also, FYI, those Vu headworn mic's aren't fantastic. They're not terrible with some EQ, but they distort at a lower SPL than your average mic element. Better for speech than for music. They're the cheapest of the cheap headset mic's.

I suppose my simple question is... "what would you recommend"? hahah...

Again I'm practically starting from scratch, I have (2) Yamaha DXR15s (mains), and an old Yamaha 10 channel mixer (which I'll need to replace) as I want all microphones on compressors.

They are being re-assigned.

What I am saying is that after the FCC repacks the OTA-TV channels for your area, these channels will (should be) open in your area. So you should plan your system so that your systems will be able to tune in this space. You are a lot luckier than most. Where I am in the LA area nothing is open.

The data is here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A2.pdf
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A1.pdf
http://data.fcc.gov/download/incentive-auctions/Transition_Files/

Thanks for the info Don! I think I'm selling myself on just renting everything for the wireless mics... but I do plan on buying racks w/wheels, a new mixer, etc... any thoughts on the rest of what I need is appreciated!

Again I'm practically starting from scratch, I have (2) Yamaha DXR15s (mains), and an old Yamaha 10 channel mixer (which I'll need to replace) as I want all microphones on compressors.

A variantof the Behringer X32 Series would be ideal for that. With the internal compressors - less kit to tote around. With my X32 Producer I have no problems with 16 active mics.

Still seems to me you would be better off rental wireless packs and receivers at each location and buying decent elements to take with you location to location. That's where I'd focusmy funds.

As much as I like the X32, (I own an X32 Compact) all of the current crop of digital mixers have dynamics and parametric EQ on every channel.

Any specific recommendation? As in my past I was able to get vocalists sound fine using the wimpy "1 knob" Yamaha boards, I'm sorta thinking I just get one of the larger 16 or 20 channel analog boards that has 8 channels of "1 knob" compressors. However... that will set me up to never be able to add real live musicians...

So I'm thinking maybe I should up sell myself - to a board that has more future potential. i.e. 8 singers today, and X number of live musicians soon.

Please recommend a board - analog or digital that you think is suitable for my portable/touring setup - where again speed of setup at a venue is very important.

Thanks!

A variantof the Behringer X32 Series would be ideal for that. With the internal compressors - less kit to tote around. With my X32 Producer I have no problems with 16 active mics.

Still seems to me you would be better off rental wireless packs and receivers at each location and buying decent elements to take with you location to location. That's where I'd focusmy funds.

Appreciate the reply... I never was a legit sound engineer... I was always the guy who had to step in because the main person was missing. But when I was around the sound guys... they always avoided the "B" word like the plague. Because of your reply, I just looked at the latest reviews and see that Behringer's purchase of Midas seems to have changed things for the better.

I'm trying to go through the various X32 models reviews now. Is the Producer the one you would recommend?

As much as I like the X32, (I own an X32 Compact) all of the current crop of digital mixers have dynamics and parametric EQ on every channel.
The X32 has parametric EQ on every input; it does not have dynamics on the auxiliary inputs. While this can be worked around with the "Aux In Remap" it seems silly to have omitted the dynamics from those inputs (I use compression on dance recital tracks) but I can accept this limitation for the features/value/price. Comparable mixers still cost more.

Appreciate the reply... I never was a legit sound engineer... I was always the guy who had to step in because the main person was missing. But when I was around the sound guys... they always avoided the "B" word like the plague. Because of your reply, I just looked at the latest reviews and see that Behringer's purchase of Midas seems to have changed things for the better.

I'm trying to go through the various X32 models reviews now. Is the Producer the one you would recommend?

I think it's the Compact you want.... which ever smaller model has the "scribble strips." Or pony up a bit more coin and go with the Midas version, the M32Rack.

The Music Group purchase of Midas has a number of aspects that are probably not germane to this forum but I'd not characterize it as Midas having an impact on Behringer, rather I believe it is very much the other way around.

I'm very happy with my PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 AI, although they have the newer version called the StudioLive III.

The X32 has parametric EQ on every input; it does not have dynamics on the auxiliary inputs. While this can be worked around with the "Aux In Remap" it seems silly to have omitted the dynamics from those inputs (I use compression on dance recital tracks) but I can accept this limitation for the features/value/price. Comparable mixers still cost more.

The compromise on the aux inputs is likely because they ran out of DSP cycles. They couldn't hit the target price if they had added more DSP. The X32 turned the industry upside down with its value. I dare say we'd still be paying much more for digital consoles with fewer feature had Behringer not done this.

The X32 has dynamics on all XLR inputs.

I like the X32 Producer because of 1) price point 2) form factor (it fits in a standard rack). The X32 Compact does have scribble strips, but with my iPad and a cheap wireless router I didn't need the scribble strips.

I'm very happy with my PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 AI, although they have the newer version called the StudioLive III.

Thanks I had previously looked at PreSonus in their Studio Live 16.4.2 which is discontinued now... and the Series III seems to not be shipping yet. And I really need to make a decision in the next week or so. (the 32 is too big in my mind for what I need).

I like the X32 Producer because of 1) price point 2) form factor (it fits in a standard rack). The X32 Compact does have scribble strips, but with my iPad and a cheap wireless router I didn't need the scribble strips.

I've had too many bad experiences with wireless when oodles of people show up to an event... so I avoid it like the plague.

I'm seriously considering either the X32 Compact - or the Midas M32R.

Thanks I had previously looked at PreSonus in their Studio Live 16.4.2 which is discontinued now... and the Series III seems to not be shipping yet. And I really need to make a decision in the next week or so. (the 32 is too big in my mind for what I need).
They have been slowly shipping out the 16 channel unit, it's just filling the demand of the pre-order.

I've had too many bad experiences with wireless when oodles of people show up to an event... so I avoid it like the plague.

I'm seriously considering either the X32 Compact - or the Midas M32R.

It's not a problem when you put a password on the router and leave it off of the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back