Modern lighting paperwork software recommendations

Ravenbar

Back in the mid 2k's I was introduced to and became thoroughly familiar with the Rosco LPS lighting paperwork software. I've never been fluent with Vectorworks, and to learn such would be constrictive to my goal of lessening the learning curve.

I rarely do shows these days)my dayjob is operating a skidsteer/cardboard baler at a recycling plant), and am looking for familiar software to outsource some mental energy as I basically go back to scratch, attempting to learn both the EOS lighting control system(coming from only using Express/Expression consoles), and also learning a nearly entirely LED rig, with some moving lights(the past being entirely conventional, mainly Altman 360Q and Shakespeares). MY plan being to suggest the school purchase whatever software is best, so there is an off board record of what's what. From the notes and Excel spreadsheets I've gotten so far, I've determined it isn't a 1 to 1 patch. I've also got limited time on site.

Wort part being that in October, I was told the likelyhood od a show this year was doubtful, so learning EOS has had been back burnered, as all the lighting I do is at this HS once a year. Then I got a email a few weeks back saying the show was back on(same show we were a week from opening when the world crashed.

Linux Software would be a plus, as 90% of the computers I've used in the past decade have been salvaged from e-waste and set up with Linux.

Last edited:

Can run it on a Raspberry Pi.
Works great with MIDI controllers like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouchC--behringer-by-touch-compact
Nothing beats having at least a few physical controls on a dedicated control surface.

A bit of a learning curve but once you start to get some layers programmed it's really nice software. Version 5 is going to really give most lower end commercial systems a real run for their money.

For paperwork, Lightwright https://www.lightwright.com/ is the industry standard. Vectorworks is a drafting program to draw a plot. Both are great and yes have a learning curve. However, any drawing program can be used, last I looked the tech packet at my old job still had the house plot in MacDraw. Excel is also very useful. Back in the day I used it for both paperwork and plots. We had raceways that never moved so circuit number gave you position, add a line for channel number, gel color and gobo and you are set. With LEDs and movers things get a bit more complex but still doable. Layout by location, say first electric. Plus or minus distance in feet/meters from center, channel number, address start, total dmx addresses used and focus notes. You can add or subtract info from there. My job provides me the software I need, but not having it has never stopped me from finding a way to do what I need to do, find something that works for you.

Theres a learning curve with any software, pick your poison. As Lextech stated, Lightwright is the industry standard, not terribley expensive and is custom designed to support lighting, where as Excel or similar needs to be modified to do anything. LW as well can interface with Eos, you can export patch data direct to Eos, and have LW connected via OSC to function as a paperwork based remote (looking for a light on 2 Electric ?, LW shows you its intensity and can control that light). LW is worth it, in my opinion, even if you dont use Vectorworks. Any chance you can get the free educational version of VW ?

Can run it on a Raspberry Pi.
Works great with MIDI controllers like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouchC--behringer-by-touch-compact
Nothing beats having at least a few physical controls on a dedicated control surface.

A bit of a learning curve but once you start to get some layers programmed it's really nice software. Version 5 is going to really give most lower end commercial systems a real run for their money.
You missed the question. I've got QLC running on a couple computers already(along with a couple DIY USB-DMX converters). I'm looking for a paperwork software rather than a control system
For paperwork, Lightwright https://www.lightwright.com/ is the industry standard. Vectorworks is a drafting program to draw a plot. Both are great and yes have a learning curve. However, any drawing program can be used, last I looked the tech packet at my old job still had the house plot in MacDraw. Excel is also very useful. Back in the day I used it for both paperwork and plots. We had raceways that never moved so circuit number gave you position, add a line for channel number, gel color and gobo and you are set. With LEDs and movers things get a bit more complex but still doable. Layout by location, say first electric. Plus or minus distance in feet/meters from center, channel number, address start, total dmx addresses used and focus notes. You can add or subtract info from there. My job provides me the software I need, but not having it has never stopped me from finding a way to do what I need to do, find something that works for you.
What'er the institutional license cost? Prehap I can get eh school to buy a license....(Nevermind. An institutional license for an above 30 seat space if $5395 That's wll beyond what I can ask them to spend, just so I can use it a couple months per year). The website doesn't mention pricing or offer any demos that works on Linux. I've been 99% Linux only since 2012. My only Windows machines are Win7, used for programming my ham radios and the other occasionally hooked up when I want to play GTA 4.
Theres a learning curve with any software, pick your poison. As Lextech stated, Lightwright is the industry standard, not terribley expensive and is custom designed to support lighting, where as Excel or similar needs to be modified to do anything. LW as well can interface with Eos, you can export patch data direct to Eos, and have LW connected via OSC to function as a paperwork based remote (looking for a light on 2 Electric ?, LW shows you its intensity and can control that light). LW is worth it, in my opinion, even if you dont use Vectorworks. Any chance you can get the free educational version of VW ?
I'm trying to minimize the learning curve. Back in the day, we had lightwright and vectorworks at the college(2004-2008). I never figured out how to use them, and as I had both Rosco LPS and AutoCad available, I used those, if I didn't just do it by hand. More recently, I've used LXPlan, but that's mainly for the plot.

This is the local HS, where everyone else that used the system is a teacher. Their only concern is the bare minimum knowledge they need to know to run the system. Expecting them to develop light plots, or even learn the software enough to keep a plot up to date isn't a reasonable expectation. I forcefully suggested they add a fader wing, as the contractor(SSSL) even after the initial request didn't spec a fader wing at all. My position being that I want any teacher, with no experience, to be able to walk into the booth and be able to have a familiar enough interface to get sufficient lights for a class. I also prefer to have zones programmed during a show, should actors go far of script and I have to keep them lit until I can at least find where in the script they drifted too. I recall the past director giving a teacher big crap and expecting I'd be pissed, as he moved lights around during the non-musical part of the school year. I actually had to explain to him that I walked into every show expecting to move everything around.

Last edited:
You may have to suck it up and use software for Mac or Win. You're likely digging thru Github otherwise, with no certainty that the program will be maintained or further developed.

Even using Windows, I don't see many options. I can't see the school spending a fraction of the price of Lightwright. IF I'm forced into a Win7 era system, I might just dig out my CD's of the trial version of Rosco LPS(circa 2005 USITT conference), as I already know that system.

Our biggest problem now is that we barely understand the system. The contractor that designed the system basically created a lighting design for the space and that's what we got. I"m within the last week finding out that even the initial plan we were given is more lights than we got, i.e. in the past I"ve done a 4/3 wide by 2 deep zoning(2x for color). The new system was supposed to be a 4x2 system, but as delivered is a 3/?x2 system. We've always wanted a 5x2 system, giving a straight up the center zone.

Even using Windows, I don't see many options. I can't see the school spending a fraction of the price of Lightwright. IF I'm forced into a Win7 era system, I might just dig out my CD's of the trial version of Rosco LPS(circa 2005 USITT conference), as I already know that system.

Our biggest problem now is that we barely understand the system. The contractor that designed the system basically created a lighting design for the space and that's what we got. I"m within the last week finding out that even the initial plan we were given is more lights than we got, i.e. in the past I"ve done a 4/3 wide by 2 deep zoning(2x for color). The new system was supposed to be a 4x2 system, but as delivered is a 3/?x2 system. We've always wanted a 5x2 system, giving a straight up the center zone.
I see your position. You have bigger fish to fry, it looks like. At this point even a legal pad and pencil will get you started. Good luck with this project! 👍

What'er the institutional license cost? Prehap I can get eh school to buy a license....(Nevermind. An institutional license for an above 30 seat space if $5395 That's wll beyond what I can ask them to spend, just so I can use it a couple months per year). The website doesn't mention pricing or offer any demos that works on Linux. I've been 99% Linux only since 2012. My only Windows machines are Win7, used for programming my ham radios and the other occasionally hooked up when I want to play GTA 4.

I
When Lightwright is referring to seats, they mean how many users/computers will be using the program at once. You only really need one seat.
You could probably build a template for your lighting paperwork out of a lightweight relational DB like air table, which is free last I checked, but you're going to assemble it yourself.

I think LXPlan is going to be sufficient. My only concern is the fixture database is a bit dated, and none of the new fixtures are listed. Even though it's widely advertised as free for non-commercial use, without the license, you can't create your own fixtures. LXPlan is also listed as still in development, and I can't figure out if a license for it is even available.

LXFree/Plan is pretty OK. I get why most people would turn up their noses at it, but as someone who only has to intermittently do a light plot for other people to look at, it's great. I too have no idea about the license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back