Monochromatic Rep Plot

BobHealey

I have been tasked with designing a new rep plot for the space a theater company I volunteer with rents. Its been about 4 years since anyone touched it. Focus has drifted over time, and most of the gels have faded to clear. System is a decade old with 24 360Q 6x9 and 19 65Q (I feel like I missed a 65Q in my count).

Based upon the constraints imposed upon me in terms of mandatory specials by the facility, I think I have 10 each 6x9 and 65Q to accomplish a 5 across/2 deep stage wash. No barn doors. No downlight due to space constraints. I'm debating between an R02/R60 using the 65Q for the downstage zones (dead on unfortunately) and the 6x9 for upstage, or doing a single monochromatic wash with the 6x9's and trying with 12' ceilings to do a down light system with the 65Qs. If you could have only 1 gel color, what would it be? R02? R00? R60? R33?

I know whatever I hang is most likely going to barely fall under functional, and the next person in that space is probably going to wonder if I were thinking at all, and just what and how much I was smoking when I hung this, but I need to try and improve things so that the DS wash is actually uniform enough an actor can walk across the stage instead of tracing a path around the dark spots. I've always been more of a technician than a designer.

If you could have only 1 gel color, what would it be? R02? R00? R60? R33?

R02. It'll work with most everything and if it doesn't, none of the others would be any better. Maybe R05 would be a good choice as well. Less yellow.

I would also go all R02/05 and skip the R60, etc... Won't fade as quickly over time.

I'd also skip the downlights unless they're back lights. Too steep a top light tends to cause shadows, bright nose, etc... which is hard to overcome with front light.

Thanks. The artsy side of design is where I fall flat, but given the shortage of community theater crew in this region, I fumble my way in the dark as best I can.

Give Murphy a call before you go ripping apart his world... he will be more than happy to help. He plays in there every once in awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back