Ethan

In Our Town there are a lot of scenes involving a moon, how would I get this to happen? Any suggestions?
Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Address.329140129.jpg
    Address.329140129.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 359
The script talks about the moon, and the actors refer to the moon.... But you don't have to show one on stage. IMO, this play is best when it is as minimal as you can possibly make it. The last time we did it, the director was too scared to go minimal, so we just kept adding and adding... it was terrible. I built the moon, I built platforms, then fences, then a whole wedding gazebo thingy..... gah. The play is supposed to be MINIMAL. Just light the actors in a cool moonlight gel. The audience knows what a moon looks like.... rant over.

The script talks about the moon, and the actors refer to the moon.... But you don't have to show one on stage. IMO, this play is best when it is as minimal as you can possibly make it. The last time we did it, the director was too scared to go minimal, so we just kept adding and adding... it was terrible. I built the moon, I built platforms, then fences, then a whole wedding gazebo thingy..... gah. The play is supposed to be MINIMAL. Just light the actors in a cool moonlight gel. The audience knows what a moon looks like.... rant over.

agreed. when we did it, the talk about the moon happened atop of wood A frame ladders to serve as balcony/windows worked wonderfully. sure you can make Our Town a big, fleshed out spectacle, but minimal baritones type stuff leaves the focus on the relationships and story which is what is the best part.

My memory of the moon scene is that they talk about the moon light and how pretty it is. You really want her to look upstage to look at the moon, or do you want some moon light sculpting her face so the audience can see her?

I know which one I would choose

For the crew, where is the fun or challenge in minimalism? Every performance should be the Cirque du Soleil version.
Right now we are doing Museum, and while I am thrilled with our set, once it is done it is done. There are no scene changes, practically no light changes (except 1 BIG ONE) and really no moving parts aside from props. The crew worked very hard building, painting, setting lights and sound, and now they really just sit back on this one. I explain to them that sometimes shows are like that, and it takes a lot of discipline to just be present and let the actors and costume do the heavy lifting during this particular show. I must say that I do like it that the running crew and lights and sound are bummed not to be more active. I hope they remember this when we do Seussical in the spring and they are all wearing thing shirts and blue fright wigs and running around like crazy.

A line from Our Town: The Stage Manager walks onto the stage with a potted plant and puts it down. "There's some scenery for those who need scenery."

For the Production I worked on a few years ago I used a Roscoe Image pro, borrowed the I-pro and bought a slide from their library of Images. Put it in a Source 4 and boom we had a moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back