More Covidiots/ranting.

What Rigger?

I'm so fly....I Neverland.
So, what, it was "Beef & Boards" dinner theater that dropped their Equity status last month to do "Beehive", while wearing face shields, right? Out Indianapolis way. Now it looks like they got shut down again.

Then I saw this today:

Let's not forget Sturgis is happening right now, with 9 or 10 days of concerts in a row.

I rolled my eyes so hard, I detached a retina. I need a drink. And I might just rant, right about...now:
More idiot hobbyists, so sure that they can do what MLB, NBA, UFC, NCAA, et al... have not been able to do: Pull off a production and keep COVID at bay. Meanwhile, the overwhelmingly vast majority of the industry (and by that I mean the pros, the schools at all levels, the rental shops, the community organizations, all engaged with reality) sit at home freaking the #### out. And our return is delayed even longer.

I'm not even gonna give a qualified/reluctant "Look, I get it" with a heavy sigh about people gotta pay bills and playing live is the only way for someone like Quiet Riot. Because I'm past that. (Frankie Banali is undergoing pancreatic cancer treatment, so why Quiet Riot is at Sturgis is beyond me.) If you're so greedy, or stupid, or arrogant to be out doing gigs as if there wasn't a pandemic killing Americans at the rate of 1 every 80 seconds, I have no sympathy for you. #### every last one of them for endangering themselves and others.
A community organization has infected 16 of 32 people in the company (by my count on their Insta cast/crew/orchestra list)...and for what? "Mamma Mia"? In North Platte, Nebraska??? Are these people for real?

Here endeth the rant. (And for @dvsDave or @gafftaper or any other admins who want to pull this down, feel free. I'm not at all sure I didn't cross some line in posting this. But I'm over watching people scramble and suffer.)

So, what, it was "Beef & Boards" dinner theater that dropped their Equity status last month to do "Beehive", while wearing face shields, right? Out Indianapolis way. Now it looks like they got shut down again.

Then I saw this today:

Let's not forget Sturgis is happening right now, with 9 or 10 days of concerts in a row.

I rolled my eyes so hard, I detached a retina. I need a drink. And I might just rant, right about...now:
More idiot hobbyists, so sure that they can do what MLB, NBA, UFC, NCAA, et al... have not been able to do: Pull off a production and keep COVID at bay. Meanwhile, the overwhelmingly vast majority of the industry (and by that I mean the pros, the schools at all levels, the rental shops, the community organizations, all engaged with reality) sit at home freaking the #### out. And our return is delayed even longer.

I'm not even gonna give a qualified/reluctant "Look, I get it" with a heavy sigh about people gotta pay bills and playing live is the only way for someone like Quiet Riot. Because I'm past that. (Frankie Banali is undergoing pancreatic cancer treatment, so why Quiet Riot is at Sturgis is beyond me.) If you're so greedy, or stupid, or arrogant to be out doing gigs as if there wasn't a pandemic killing Americans at the rate of 1 every 80 seconds, I have no sympathy for you. #### every last one of them for endangering themselves and others.
A community organization has infected 16 of 32 people in the company (by my count on their Insta cast/crew/orchestra list)...and for what? "Mamma Mia"? In North Platte, Nebraska??? Are these people for real?

Here endeth the rant. (And for @dvsDave or @gafftaper or any other admins who want to pull this down, feel free. I'm not at all sure I didn't cross some line in posting this. But I'm over watching people scramble and suffer.)
@What Rigger? From up here North of little Donnie's walls YOU have my FULL PERMISSION to keep right on RANTING!!! Go Kamala GO!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Don’t even get me started on the accelerated destruction of the USPS...

All art and design and business is inherently political. I don't see how you can be a human being at this point in time and not have a strong, vested opinion that is both personal and professional on the state of things.

However bad it is now, schools are just reopening in the next 1-2 weeks and it will be much worse in 6-8 weeks. It's time to hunker down. We're in this for the long haul. Business as usual will not return for at least a full year from now, and everyone who insists against wearing masks and taking basic precautions makes the pain much worse.

Here's my earlier comment from the Discord channel:

Congress has gone home. The post office is being sold for parts. Evictions have begun. We've lost more than 1000 people/day for the last 18 days straight. In the average year the US has 2,800,000 deaths. We are on track to have 280,000 deaths by the end of this year. 10% of our deaths this year would have been preventable if not for politics, incredible arrogance, and negligence. If we flashed the names on TV of every person who died of COVID in the United States, one at a time for 3 sec each, it would take 6 days to show every name. When you wake up, eat dinner, tell your kids to do their schoolwork, or go to bed, those names would still be scrolling. I try not to be hyperbolic but it certainly feels like if you were doing a group project in a high school civics class about what leads to coups and civil wars, these circumstances would be somewhere in that presentation if Kevin would just put down his bong for 5 minutes and help finish his slides on the Powerpoint.

We left the set for Secret Garden standing when we cancelled in March about a week from performing. I've been in the building for a few maintenance things and it's just eerie. Now I'm starting to get very angry, because Summer season is gone, Winter show is cancelled, and people are being so friggin stupid. And 100 bucks says no Secret Garden in March 2021 either..

We may not even have a program at all after this. Remote school until at least November, who knows what kinds of access restrictions on the building for non-school personnel after that. On-going restrictions against large indoor gatherings. No shows for the ‘20-‘21 school year. Add in the drain of kids as parents move to on-line charter schools (at least a few of my friends are talking about that) leaving fewer participants and families. Finally throw in reduced funding as public school budgets are destroyed and people can’t donate because they’re barely hanging on. I honestly don’t see how we bounce back from this.

Preach it Brother @What Rigger? !

But it's gonna be okay because Dodgeball Thunderdome is coming in a few days.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Preach it Brother @What Rigger? !

But it's gonna be okay because Dodgeball Thunderdome is coming in a few days.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not sure I can contain my excre... excitement.

We left the set for Secret Garden standing when we cancelled in March about a week from performing.
I left a set under construction. Here we are on stage 3 restrictions and mask wearing is mandatory when out of the house. Masks can be a face covering of some sort. I see people wearing masks not covering their nose which is like having the old fella hanging out of your jocks and also people wearing just face shields which will not be effective alone. Where face shields are effective is stopping droplets getting into your eyes. At work (non theatre) I have to wear both mask (to cover this ugly mug) and a shield. Yes it is a bit uncomfortable but if that is what I have to do to help stop the spread then that is what I will do.
There are too many stupid selfish people out there making this harder than it should be. Simple Stay home and only go out if you need to get food or other essentials or go to work if you can't work from home. and if you go to the supermarket go alone and don't take the whole family.
My rant over for now.

My students are starting to arrive. Everyone, even part timers, gets tested, university is paying. Students upon arrival and it looks like weekly in my lobby. Theatre faculty has offices above the lobby on a balcony and from what I am hearing won’t be in on Mondays. All shows will either be streamed or taped for streaming. Everything socially distant with face covering where applicable, obviously my brass and woodwind players will be wearing theirs on the bells of their instruments. Haven’t heard what the flutists are doing. Ongoing questions about lots of procedures including what spacing for what activity. I am truly worried that if the kids leave, I’m going to be furloughed. Normally I have back up work to cover my butt, but right now my IA card and skill set won’t help pay the mortgage. My wife works at the neighboring university, they are mandating face covers but their dorms are way crowded and I don’t see them making it through their semester. My university is trying really hard so we might be okay. The real worry is not on campus, it’s off campus at night and alcohol. Those kids here for the summer were partying like normal, but the community is small and remote so they were relatively safe. Now everyone is coming back from far away. We have a very large Texas population, second only to Virginia, and that’s a major hotspot. I’m ranting, so I’ll stop. I just wonder if that we had a national response in March and April that was strictly enforced would we still have these problems now?

I
My students are starting to arrive. Everyone, even part timers, gets tested, university is paying. Students upon arrival and it looks like weekly in my lobby. Theatre faculty has offices above the lobby on a balcony and from what I am hearing won’t be in on Mondays. All shows will either be streamed or taped for streaming. Everything socially distant with face covering where applicable, obviously my brass and woodwind players will be wearing theirs on the bells of their instruments. Haven’t heard what the flutists are doing. Ongoing questions about lots of procedures including what spacing for what activity. I am truly worried that if the kids leave, I’m going to be furloughed. Normally I have back up work to cover my butt, but right now my IA card and skill set won’t help pay the mortgage. My wife works at the neighboring university, they are mandating face covers but their dorms are way crowded and I don’t see them making it through their semester. My university is trying really hard so we might be okay. The real worry is not on campus, it’s off campus at night and alcohol. Those kids here for the summer were partying like normal, but the community is small and remote so they were relatively safe. Now everyone is coming back from far away. We have a very large Texas population, second only to Virginia, and that’s a major hotspot. I’m ranting, so I’ll stop. I just wonder if that we had a national response in March and April that was strictly enforced would we still have these problems now?
You're right about the on campus vs off campus.
If you could confirm there were no cases on campus, in all of the dorms, you'd be ok. (As far as I understand.) Kind of like the basketball thing going on at DisneyWorld. Get all the players and staff to stay inside their hotel building 100% for 2 weeks, test them, and if all is good, you're good to interact.
It's going out and having a beer (even socially distanced, outside) with a bunch of other people.
So theoretically, colleges could open if kids could stand to not leave campus every weekend to see their parents and their friends and their parents friends...

So theoretically, colleges could open if kids could stand to not leave campus every weekend to see their parents and their friends and their parents friends...

And if they all agree not to get jobs flipping burgers, waiting tables, baking pizzas, tending bar, or tending jewelry counters.

And if they all agree not to get jobs flipping burgers, waiting tables, baking pizzas, tending bar, or tending jewelry counters.
And agree to become a friend of Bill W. A few too many brews and all bets are off.

I live a few blocks from a college campus, and there are two, student rental houses across the street. Early in the spring I saw signs of reduced movement and occasionally I saw someone wearing a mask. This summer, it's business as usual with no signs of precautions.

I predict that the colleges opening will have outbreaks and, ultimately, will wind up closing. The idea that you can control the virus among that large a group of students, faculty, and staff is just unrealistic.

I live a few blocks from a college campus, and there are two, student rental houses across the street. Early in the spring I saw signs of reduced movement and occasionally I saw someone wearing a mask. This summer, it's business as usual with no signs of precautions.

I predict that the colleges opening will have outbreaks and, ultimately, will wind up closing. The idea that you can control the virus among that large a group of students, faculty, and staff is just unrealistic.
Yes, and coupled with alcohol consumption, all but guarantees what is happening at UNC Chapel Hill right now. Even without alcohol, in high schools and middle schools in some places are having to regroup and retreat due to predicted (and ignored) increases in infection transmission.

One step forward, two steps back.

Whoa there on the WW players ...all those extra holes. And we Fr. hornists whose right hand goes in the bell for mechanical support and micro-tuning notes ... how to mask that up? Could be the year of the synths ...

Whoa there on the WW players ...all those extra holes. And we Fr. hornists whose right hand goes in the bell for mechanical support and micro-tuning notes ... how to mask that up? Could be the year of the synths ..
Well since I posted they have already received new guidelines on the choir set ups and new distances for some instruments, in particular trombones. Gonna be an interesting year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back