More of a props question, but close enough

Raindrip

I need to make a French dessert called a croquembouche for a buffet scene in a play. It's a pyramid of creme-filled pastry puffs covered with caramel. It doesn't need to be practical, all it does is sit there and look nice, but it is the centerpiece of the buffet.

I have a design for it but I'm having some trouble coming up with an appropriate material. Usually I'd use styrofoam for pastry and spackle for icing on top but since I'm not covering it with spackle, the styrofoam looks, well, like styrofoam. Any advice on what to make the pastry out of or possibly a tip on how to make the styrofoam look more edible would be appriciated.

Got to somewhere that makes wedding cakes. They always have those display cakes all over the place that look "good enough to eat." Ask them what they use.

OR. Even Better, ask them to make the centerpiece for you. Tell them that you'll give them an add in the program and they can write it off on their taxes as a donation.

well wat you can do is get a piece of cloth the color of the pastry and then wrap the sty foam in the cloth and that might work ya

Hello fellow techs
there is really good product it is like playdough only better this is fire baked clay sold at local craft store. it can be mold and twisted then fired in a kitchen oven or toaster. and it is hard as a rock. so use that then use real carmel since it does not spoil. i thinlk you should get the results that you need.

James

celtictechie said:
hello nez one quick questions does a tech use duct or gaff.

To take this more generally, does not a tech use whatever is available to get the job done until such time as it can be fixed properly. This assumes that you can't fix it properly in the first place.

Why are we talking about this? It has nothing to do with the thread!

CHScrew said:
Why are we talking about this? It has nothing to do with the thread!

Life is not logical. You cannot put everything into a category. Life goes off on a tangent and this carries through to things like this. I'm sure that we all mean to stay on track, but sometimes we get sidetracked. There are other threads which have moved completely from their topic. This should not become one of them I agree but the very nature of life means that things will occasionally move off track.

I apologise to anyone who may have experienced distress if they believe that I am at fault, but going off track is a part of life.

It's OK. I accept your apology. You were just answering a question... The person who asked the random question in the middle of this thread is the one I blame. But It's OK.

Chris15 said:
To take this more generally, does not a tech use whatever is available to get the job done until such time as it can be fixed properly. This assumes that you can't fix it properly in the first place.

very very true. A good tech knows how to beg borrow and steal all the materials he needs. esp since he almost never seems to have them at his dospisal, just look at a good micing job... BUT...all things considered..wouldnt a tech use duct tape a gaffer use gaff tape?

saxman0317 said:
very very true. A good tech knows how to beg borrow and steal all the materials he needs. esp since he almost never seems to have them at his dospisal, just look at a good micing job... BUT...all things considered..wouldnt a tech use duct tape a gaffer use gaff tape?

In keeping with CHSCrew's views and a general expectation of keeping threads on track, it might be advisable to begin a new thread or dig up an old one to discuss this, rather than dragging this one away from its original topic.

Yep. This thread is totally on topic.

Thanks for all the different suggestions. I'm planning on trying small samples of each to see which is best. My stage manager suggested paper mache, so I'll give that a go too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back