Most Automated Lights

Crewguy7

What is the most automated lights you've used in a show?

For GBS's upcoming Variety Show we'll be using 34.

--8 Mac-2000
--5 CF-7 (Boo Hiss)
--10 Cybers
--6 Studio Spot 500 - Two of which will be hung off the Sky Boxes in the house which i believe is a first in school history!
--6 Studio Spot 275

Personally, 2 Technobeams (no iris) in a fashion show.

Metamorphoses at CETA 2 weekends ago we had access to four Technobeam-i units and we used them to great effect.

I myself hace not used a lot but out of the fair amount that I have used I would say that I enjoy the Mac 2000 the most. They are great right off the factory line but can get even better when modified and things are added to them.

None, I wish I had one! :(

Smatticus said:
None, I wish I had one! :(

Same here... :(

That is one thing that I really want to get expience with... (IE, something id wanna screw around with for a long time.... ;))

I compleatly agree Terg.

I learn how to do stuff and work stuff by physically touching it and wireing things different ways, and just playing with different things. I would REALLY love to get my hands on one of them and see how everything works.

if only I had 1,000 or more to blow on one of them...

150 or more.. Depends upon the show. But I won't bore you.

Conventions such as auto shows frequently will use more moving lights than rock tours however.

As for me, I'm not normally doing shows, I just buy the lamps or make the gear for them. Most I personally have ever used was one moving light - think it was a Mac250 and it was in self test mode. The requested ripple machine was out and we had to make do.

Just 1 - In Metamorphosis we used a Chauvet Legend 150R, night club standard. 3 of these were all my black box could afford. They work quite well for extremely simple automated requests on stage-such as a programed spot or simple strobing. A major disadvantage would be the lack of dimming and an iris - as a LD I find this very frusterating. But they are cheap - around 750!

I don't have the plot with me at the moment but I think that when we switched to an almost all intell. rig for one of our shows we were using something like:
10 - MAC2000s
6 - MAC600s
6 - MAC250s
6 - StudioBeams

umm dont you mean 35 not to be smart *** but you might want to stop skipping math to work in the theater :) ( dont worry one day I couldn't count to five) I think it was 12 or 16 cybers but I was on spot that night so I could say for sure

Do you rent or own?

they are on what we call "permenant hire". a fee was paid that coverd the insurance of the fixtures. whilst they still remain property of the hire company, we have them on the venue. but! the hire company is able to come and take them if they need them.

That sorta thing is done ALOT over here. specially for band or pub gigs, the hire company generally will give the band a full rig and set down a feee then the band gets them till the hire company wants them back...

but just for your general productions, hire companies do the first week, aditional weeks etc.

cruiser said:
they are on what we call "permenant hire". a fee was paid that coverd the insurance of the fixtures. whilst they still remain property of the hire company, we have them on the venue. but! the hire company is able to come and take them if they need them.

That sorta thing is done ALOT over here. specially for band or pub gigs, the hire company generally will give the band a full rig and set down a feee then the band gets them till the hire company wants them back...

but just for your general productions, hire companies do the first week, aditional weeks etc.

I have seen a few companies like that in the NY area. The westchester broadway theatre has a seup like that, and we rented a good deal of lights from them once. They have QUITE a bit of lights, and the rental company just rents em if they're not in use by the theatre.

actually crewguy, I'm not sure about the skyboxes, but I know Rich has put automated fixtures on the catwalk before... I can imagine how much of a pain that probably was... and hey, CF-7's aren't THAT bad. as long as they're not color changing. or changing gobos. or... moving in general.

okay, so they suck.

600. Can't remember the exact quantities but we had Highend, Vari-Lite, Coemar, and Martin. It was for the Neil Diamond Millenium Tour. It happens to be the largest moving light rig to tour (the Olympics, and several award shows such as the Grammys have more fixtures, but do not tour.)
I'm a professional lighting tech, and typically tour with 200-300 moving light rigs.
Ronald Beal
Lighting designer/programmer/opoerator/crew chief/tech/gaffer.

RonaldBeal said:
600. Can't remember the exact quantities but we had Highend, Vari-Lite, Coemar, and Martin. It was for the Neil Diamond Millenium Tour. It happens to be the largest moving light rig to tour (the Olympics, and several award shows such as the Grammys have more fixtures, but do not tour.)
I'm a professional lighting tech, and typically tour with 200-300 moving light rigs.
Ronald Beal
Lighting designer/programmer/opoerator/crew chief/tech/gaffer.

Hi Ronald,
Just a bit off topic--but I've noted a few of your posts recently and wanted to say WELCOME to Controlbooth. Glad to have you aboard. :) Feel free to post a formal hello in the New Member board so everyone can say Howdy to ya. You'll find a good blend of pro's and newbies on here with various backgrounds, all with the main goal to share info and help each other out.

Neil Diamond--cool tour...is Joe Schwiekert back on as his LD? I worked alot with Joe at disney a while back...

Hope you enjoy the forums and website and visit and contribute often.

Cheers!
-wolf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back